XX: Cutting Ties

“Ugh…”

“Jasper, how are you feeling today?”

Ilse’s eyes were full of genuine concern as she stood by the bed. They were in one of the rooms at the academy hospital. It was Friday morning and the closing ceremonies just started. She sat beside him and checked the bandage on his head.

“Sorry you had to be out for twenty-four hours…But the wounds are all better now. You can attend the rest of the closing ceremonies later this afternoon” she smiled sweetly at him.

Jasper groaned as he sat up and felt his head. He didn’t feel sick, but awfully hungry. The faint applause and cheering from outside reached his room. They both looked out the window, but they hardly saw the stage and the crowd. It was too far.

“Is she alright…?” he asked after a while.

Ilse couldn’t help but giggle.

“Jasper…this is Alice we’re talking about! She’s fine”

He had to smile too. It seems that there’s not a single threat to her. Suddenly, he recalled that day in London – his first mission - when Alice had saved them both.

“They’re awarding checks and other monetary prizes today. I think the Science and Research department will get the highest cut this year” she winked at him.

“What else is there?”

“Well…this afternoon there’s going to be a dance. The Middle School band will be playing. And then there’s clean-up for the entire weekend”

“Will Alice…”

Ilse stood and started picking up the medical supplies. She shook her head sadly.

“She’s got to work Jasper” she whispered.

He sat bolt upright.

“She’s not well! Who’s making her work? Where is she?!”

He had flung the blanket aside, scurrying out of bed. Ilse was in front of him within seconds, holding on to his shoulders firmly. She stared her sad gray eyes into his dark intense ones.

“You promised, Jasper…”

He knew what she meant. His shoulders and face dropped at the realization. He looked away and they were silent for a while. She soon bid him goodbye, carrying a tray of bandages and medicine bottles. When he was finally alone, Jasper walked over to the window. He could still see the Technical Ability booths in the distance, the students strolling about, and the teachers talking with the ambassadors. He glanced at the sofa in the room, and saw some clothes. Jasper hastily put it on and removed the bandages from his head.

But he didn’t feel any better at all.

*

Alice closed her eyes as she soaked in the hot water of the bath. Her wet hair was plastered on the sides of her ivory face, her whole body relaxed. But she knew such moments in her life are brief, fleeting. The door to her bathroom creaked open and she smiled, her eyes still shut.

“Did you come to say goodbye?” she asked, her voice amused.

Mikael gazed at her. He seemed to be considering something, then approached her in the giant tub. He sat himself by its side, staring lovingly into her damp features. When she opened her eyes, they watched his face solemnly.

“Why do you insist on doing things by yourself, silly girl…” his voice was soft.

“You already know the answer to that question…”