twelve | one time since forever

"Never by word or action notice the defects of another; be charitable, for all need charity. Remember who said, "Let him that is without fault cast the first stone." 

illéan royal etiquette booklet

*

My voice runs dry and my throat constricts. I'm speechless, and he, Will, only stares at me, awaiting an answer. An answer I don't say aloud. 

So instead, in true Holly fashion, I push past him and sprint out the doorway. I jerk myself and make a sharp left, then a right, in directions I know I won't remember; But I do it to get away... I'm sure he isn't chasing me and is most likely hanging, mouth agape at my rash decisions. I want to run back and say I regret my decision, except I don't. I don't regret it. In my mind, I've already made my decision, if there was ever one to make.

I like Lucas. A lot.

And that's when I realize that I'm standing face-to-face with Niklas who only raises an eyebrow at my disordered presence. At first, I assume he's about to reprimand me for my haphazard behaviour, but instead, he pulls me into a room and locks the door tight. Now I'm looking confused.

"A message was ordered to be sent to you. Why don't you thank your lucky stars that I intercepted it before anyone else." He glances at me with a smirk. "It's from your new best friend."

I don't pick up his sense of sarcasm because I'm almost so used to a stoic Niklas, but as soon as I see the edges of his smile lifting up, I know who he's talking about. And amongst all my palace duties, I simply wished I could forget. "Esteban." I whisper shakily. 

I'm not particularly terrified of the man, knowing the fact that the peaceful Saint wouldn't lift a finger to harm me, or anyone else. But what I do know is that this could be the biggest mistake of my life and I'd be dragging Lucas down with me. As soon as the two were acquainted, it would almost seem as if he'd be tying Lucas down to an ultimatum. If the man wouldn't use his fists, then he'd use his mind.

At that moment it had hit me why the deal had seemed too good to be true. Sure, it offered things both sides could give, but resources to the palace were worth almost nothing, unlike the intel he was willing to pass. Esteban might or might not have actually needed the resources or fairness in the system but it didn't matter anyway. All he wanted was Lucas' time of day.

"Well, it's not like you can't use his wit to your advantage," Niklas speaks firmly, "As I'd like to reiterate, he is arguably one of the best allies you can take with you to battle. So if I were you, I'd think carefully about entertaining for his demands. He fights for his mother, and for his people. He currently does not fight for you nor your country."

"Unless I make it his country."  

"I'm not following," Niklas says.

"Esteban fights for the people within his dome. They think the same way, they feel the same way. Then the only way is for Esteban to not fight for us but with us. He's been perpetrating equality for the longest time now. He wants his own little country to be recognized. That's what he was telling me: He doesn't have to be a rebel, but only if we overcompensate."

Suddenly the knob to the door jiggles strongly making Niklas and I both freeze mid-discussion. Someone is on the other side, and moments away from figuring out our little brigade. I hear a faint click of the handle and just like that, the door is unlocked. 

Lucas pops his head in almost casually, stepping inside before securing the door behind him. His eyes burn into mine, but almost in a kind manner. I'm confused, as is Niklas, but we string along a stiff smile.