procrastination

"i'm your last customer on christmas eve because it's only now that i've realized i have no wrapping paper."

+

"this is miserable," groans yuuri who's jingle bells on his hideous green and red mandatory apron/uniform jingle obnoxiously when he slumps over the front counter.

his best friend and coworker, playing with a ribbon nods absentmindedly, his thumb moving a mile a minute while scrolling through his phone. "i agree, i'd rather listen to i want a hippopotamus for christmas rather than be here, on christmas eve anyways," he grumbles.

yuuri chuckles, rolling his eyes and pulling off the scratchy and hot santa hat perched on his head and sending his dark hair up in tufts. "that's really saying something, phichit."

phichit sighs. "yeah, well, i didn't ask to work in the most abandoned shop in the mall on christmas eve."

"you filled out the job application," yuuri points out and phichit hums.

"at least we're about to close up. i still have presents to wrap you know?" phichit groans. "i hate procrastinating."

yuuri steps from behind the counter and begins closing up shop, turning the sign on the door from come in, we're open! to come back later, we're closed!

footsteps come up quickly behind him and two hands grab yuuri's shoulder, and a shout of "wait!" stops him from yelling out for help.

"please don't close yet! oh my god, please don't close!" cries a helpless sounding voice, and when yuuri turns around he's greeted with what he's sure is a beautiful face, if only there weren't tears flowing down it and if it weren't blotchy and sort of sweaty.

"ah, okay..." yuuri says uncertainly, quickly flipping the closed sign back around to a friendly open sign and the man's small hopeful yet wobbly smile from before must have been the grinch's heart, yuuri thinks, because it grew fifty times in size.

"thank you thank you thank you!! i owe you my life!" the man shouts and his mouth is oddly... heart shaped.

"uh, of course. i'm always willing to serve a late customer," yuuri replies a bit tensely, walking back in the store and ducking behind the counter, propping his elbows up and waiting patiently for the man to ask for whatever it is he needs.

the man hurries over to a box of wrapping paper and grabs a huge armful and not-so-gracefully plops them on the counter.

"will this be all, sir?" yuuri asks patiently, ringing up the tubes of wrapping paper while the man looks excitedly at dog stationary. "sir?"

phichit glares at him from behind yuuri. "yes! i'm sorry, the dog on this stationary looks just like mine." yuuri looks around to the dog he's excitedly pointing at.

"oh... a poodle. i had one of those," he says, a melancholy smile creeping up on his face.

"cute, aren't they?" the man says pleasantly. he extends an arm. "viktor nikiforov... i'm sorry about being your last customer, but i'm an awful procrastinator when it comes to the holidays. i just now noticed i didn't have any wrapping paper at home!"

yuuri uncertainly shakes the hand. "katsuki yuuri. it's no problem really, we get customers like you yearly. it wouldn't be the same without customers like you." he says with a shy looking smile, holding out the bag with about sixteen tubes of wrapping paper sticking out of the top.

"thank you, katsuki yuuri!" he calls as he turns on his heel and promptly walks straight into the door, blushing profusely. "silly me!" he calls again, ducking out of the door quickly, waving again from outside of the store.

"what a character," phichit says unenthusiastically. "i was hoping we wouldn't have to deal with last minute shoppers in here."

yuuri nods absentmindedly. "i'm glad we did though." there's faint blush dusting his face.

"why, cause he was hot?" phichit says teasingly, to which yuuri reacts to with a slap to the arm.

+

i didn't proofread this at all lmao.
i felt like i needed to write something
cute and kind of silly for viktor's birthday.

happy holidays to you guys!! hope they're great :)).