[1]

[1]
thantophobia (n.)
phobia of losing someone you love

-

My 4th grade class used to say that hardest period in history was the 1940s. When I asked why one of the boys in my class, he said to me that it was because of Hitler and the Nazi's. He said it was a Jewish Apocalypse.

This kid was horribly mistaken as we were living in the apocalypse. Of course at the time none of us could have known that.

So now, I sit here. On the porch hoping that the special boy is okay.

Boy was I wrong.

There I sat on the porch, waiting for exciting news from our good friend Otis, hoping he had caught a meal for the next few days. Maybe even weeks. Instead though, we got a little boy. The only thing I could see was a man with the a boy in his arms, Otis trailing behind.

"Dad!" I yelled. Out came Maggie, Patricia and Hershel, my dad.

As the man neared our house, he climbed up the steps.

"H-he said to f-find H-Hershel. Are y-you him?"

"Yes sir."

"Can you help my boy? Please help him."

"Bring him in." Dad said after a few moments. He layed the boy on the bed and that's when I got a good look at him.

Carl Grimes.

That special boy I loved seeing in class everyday. For he had the greatest answers to the simplest questions. Now he lay here in the spare bedroom. No life form in him.

"Sir, what's your name?" Dad asks.

After minutes of no reply I respond, "Rick Grimes. That's Carl." Maggie gives me a look. "He was in my class." She nods.

"Ms. Greene. Yes, I-I remember you."

"We can talk later, alright, right now we're gonna save your boy. Alexis, get him out of here."

"Let's go." I motion for Rick to step out and he does, going straight outside, meeting another man. Maggie joins me in the front room.

"So, what do you think?" She asks me.

"About?"

"The kid. Carl."

"I don't know. What did Dad say?" I ask.

"He said the bullet split. He has to go in to find the other pieces."

"Oh great. We don't have that kind of equipment." I groan.

"I know." Just as she answers, Rick and the other man come in.

"Please, take a seat." Maggie says and they both do, along with ourselves.

"Who are you?" I blurt, not meaning to be rude.

He chuckles, "Shane Walsh."

"Maggie and Alexis Greene." Mags replies. Rick kept mumbling about his wife. How she needed to be here. He did it in the other room aswell.