(4) Serena Poplar (Mortal)

Serena POV

I walked into Goode High School on the first day of school. I was in my final year, my senior year here. I went to find my friends. My group of friends consists of Willow, who has short black straight hair and blue eyes, Justin, who has messy blonde hair and brown eyes, and me, Serena who has long Brown curly hair and green eyes. Percy was also in our group, but he went missing mysteriously one year ago. Everyone didn't know or wouldn't tell us where he went, even his stepfather, Paul Blofis. Willow and Justin are dating, so sometimes I'm a third wheel. They both think that if Percy comes back, we should get together. That wouldn't bother me because I have a small, tinsy-tiny crush on him.... OK ITS A HUGE CRUSH. He is tall, tan, has black windswept hair, and these beautiful sea green eyes like the ocean. He was also super funny and sweet to everyone. I saw my friends and waved to them.

But then I stopped in my tracks because I saw someone: Percy Jackson.

I started running and yelling "PERCYYYYYYYY!!" I hugged him and he was confused for a second than hugged me back. I pulled away. He looked so much better, taller, leaner, more muscular, but if you looked into his eyes, you saw this brokenness and sadness.

"Where have you been?!" I said.

He scratched the back of his neck and said, "Well- I found my dad's side of the family and I was traveling with them. I went to Greece, Rome, and California. It was really last minute so I didn't have time to say goodbye."

"Why didn't you call?!" I said.

"I don't have a phone," he said.

"Why?" I said.

"Ummm- i don't really want one and stuff," he said.

"Justin, Willow! Come here," I yelled to them. They turned around.

"Percy!!" They said and ran over to hug him.

"Where have you been?" Willow said.

"Traveling to Greece, Rome, and California," Percy said.

"Why didn't you say goodbye?" Justin said.

"It was super last minute with my dad's side of the family," Percy said. We all walked to our first class, Language.

•••

We walked into the lunch room together. We got our lunch and sat down at a table together. Then I heard Hades devil herself, Catarina Deyer. She was the "popular" girl. Her shorts were wayyy to short and her crop tops went way too low and she caked her face with make-up she wore 6-inch heels to school every single day. The outfit wasn't in the dress code, but since "her daddy has a lot of money, she can get whatever she wants." She makes me want to throw up. Especially when she flirts with Percy.

"Percyyyyy! Where have you been? How about you pick me up at 7?" She said. He scooted away from her as she snuggled up next to him.

"No thanks. Definitely NOT interested. Get away from me and my friends," he said.

"Awe why not Persexy?" She said.

"I like someone else," he said. I almost spit my water out. What if it was me?

"Please go away. You are making me want to throw up the food more than I already want to," I said.

"Fine, but the offer is still on for tonight Perce," she said with a wink and strutted away.

"Ugh I hate her," Percy said.