Chapter 4

"Snow provokes responses that reach right back to childhood."-Andy Goldsworthy

Millie glanced at the clock at the wall, it was nearing midnight now. The snow was still swirling outside, barely making the streetlights visible. They gave an amber glow into the dark streets, making the town look like a wonderland.

Easton was still hunched over his desk, scribbling something while he groaned in frustration every ten seconds. She wasn't like him, so diligent. She wondered how Easton could work for so long without becoming tired, or even bored. He was like a machine. She was drawn to the lights though, and she couldn't do inventory any longer. She stood from her chair, ignoring Easton's annoyed look, and marched straight out the door.

"What are you doing?!" He yelled, while she closed the door behind her.

Large flakes fell from heaven as if the angels were having a pillow fight. They whistled and whispered throughout the air, looking like a white tornado was speeding through the town. Though beautiful, the snow was cold and sharp as it bit at her fingers and the wind kissed her cheeks. She closed her eyes and smiled, wish every gust of wind that smacked her face, she felt more and more of herself letting go.

Easton stepped out from the doors, his arms crossed and a scowl on his face, "What the hell are you doing?"

She laughed, holding her arms wide open to the heavens. "Absolutely nothing!"

"You'll catch a cold if you stay out here," he grumbled.

She laughed, sending a snowball straight his way, hitting him square in the face. Easton grumbled, his cheeks fiery red as he grabbed a pile of snow and chucked it right back at her. Millie squealed with delight, running from Easton as her boots sunk into the deep snow. He laughed, throwing another, hitting her head, making her hat fly off.

"Oh now you're gonna get it!" She screamed, lunging for him.

Easton made another, his unprotected fingers freezing from the cold, "This one's going to hit you right in the ass if you don't watch out!"

She yelped, running into the middle of the road, throwing half-packed balls, missing every single shot at him. Easton took his shot, hitting Millie right in the chest. She fell with a thud, and Easton cheered in victory. When she didn't rise though, he began to worry.

"Millie," he yelled, running towards her.

He fell to his knees, brushing the snow off of her rosy cheeks. She smiled at him then, taking a pile of snow and pushing it into his face. She laughed hysterically while he groaned.

"Who's the winner now?" She giggled.

He didn't move from on top of her though, his breathing heavy and harsh. His eyes were full of lust and anger, but Millie was not afraid. She reached for his face, pulling him so their noses touched. Easton leaned in, and kissed her. Millie thought it was magic, the way his lips connected with hers. It felt right, and somehow, among all of the fighting and the eye rolls, she felt at home with her lips pressed to his. She decided to dwell upon it later though, because for now, all she could think about was how over the moon happy she was.