Chapter 9

"Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope." ~Aristotle

She looked tired. Her hair was chestnut brown and in pin tight curls that had stray hairs flying everywhere. She was dressed in scrubs, maybe it meant she was a doctor or a nurse, but the horror on her face did not need second guessing.

"Who's this?" The woman said, crossing her arms.

Easton fiddled with the collar of his shirt, "This is Millie, she's my employee at the library I've been renovating. She was just leaving." He said through gritted teeth.

Easton saw the hurt in Millie's and his wife, Joanna's, eyes. Suddenly he regretted ever even looking at Millie in such a way. He knew where his priorities were, and now, he may have blew it with Joanna. With this realization, his demeanor changed, and he looked at Millie with kinder eyes, begging her not to tell Joanna what was going on. He could not lose his wife or his daughter.

Millie looked at Joanna, "Yes, I was just picking up some paperwork about putting in my two weeks notice. I'm leaving because I'm pregnant and Easton wasn't too happy about me leaving," she softly chuckled. "Hence why I'm crying."

Joanna's face softened and then she smiled, "Congratulations on the baby, they're a handful, but they're worth it." She then looked to Easton angrily, "I'm sorry that my husband can't control himself though."

Easton grumbled an apology. Millie was torn inside. She could not help thinking about how stupid it was that she didn't tell Joanna and expose him right here. She still had time, she debating saying something. All that came out though was, "I'll be on my way."

Millie shut the door behind her, and began sobbing into her scarf as she walked away from who she thought could never be anything compared to the love of her life.