Chapter 8

"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others." -Marcus Tullius Cicero 

Millie was shaking as she knocked on the door of Easton's home. It was a red brick house, nothing unordinary, but the glowing lights inside made the house seem to sparkle in the snow. She was beyond nervous to meet Pipah, and even more so to see how Easton interacted with her. She hoped he was caring, she wanted to be sure that Easton was a good father.

He hadn't been to the library in about two weeks because of other business, so she had been carrying on without him, a phone call only every so often or a sweet text message here and there. The more pressing matter on her mind though concerned her about how Easton was going to react to her news. She was sure he wouldn't be angry, and that maybe, he'd be happy.

She was greeted by Easton in a t-shirt and worn sweatpants, different from the suits she'd only ever seen him in. He looked more casual, more approachable, more comforting. He pulled her in for a hug, and when she rested her chin on his shoulder, he smelled of mint and fresh paper.

"She's so excited to meet you," he laughed. "I hope you like playing dress up."

Millie squealed in delight, "Of course I like dress up," she said playfully slapping him.

He kissed her cheek, and then pulled back more serious, "If you don't mind though, I don't want her to know that we're seeing each other quite yet. Can you not mention anything if she asks? Just say you're my friend from work."

Millie nodded, and then was met by Pipah running through the living room, chasing after a cat. Her blonde hair flailed behind her, while the bottom of her princess dress dragged across the floor.

"Kitty! Kitty, come here!" She squealed.

Millie laughed before looking to Easton. He had a soft smile on his face, admiring the madness of his daughter. Pipah then came face to face with the two of them and terror raked across her face before she ran to hide behind Easton's leg.

Easton laughed, "Pipah, can you say hello to Millie?"

Pipah chewed on her dress and shook her head, "Daddy that's not mum-"

He loudly laughed then and scooped her up. He held up the "one minute" finger to Millie and disappeared into the kitchen with her. Millie fiddled with the piece of paper in her purse, she had to tell him what was going on soon. He would be angry if she didn't soon, she knew he would be.

When he returned with Pipah, she came out smiling. Millie smiled and bent down to her, "I'm Millie, it's nice to meet you Pipah."

Pipah giggled, "Do you want to come play dress up with me?"

And so the night was spent playing dress up, eating ice cream, and watching Cinderella. After Easton had put her to bed, he fell onto the couch and turned on some football. Millie knew it was the right time now. Gently, she sat next to him and pulled the envelope from her purse.

"I've got to talk to you about something," she said.

He turned the TV down, giving her his full attention. He looked worried, but grabbed her hand and reassuringly said, "You can tell me anything."

"Easton," she mumbled, handing him the envelope. "You've got to open it."

He looked at her quizzically, but nonetheless opened the envelope. Shocked, he looked at the stick and then turned to her. "Does this mean what I think it means?"

Millie didn't know whether to smile or not, so keeping her face neutral she said, "I'm pregnant."

Easton stood, "No you can't be. How far along are you? How long have you known for?"

"I took the test last night when I realized I was late." She replied.

His cheeks turned red and his nostrils flared, "We cannot have this baby. Pipah is already too much for me."

Millie interjected, "We can make it work, I know we can."

Easton yelled, "We are not a thing! We are not a couple! We does not exist here! Dear God, I was fooling around with you! I barely know you, and you think we can take care of this baby together? You are out of your mind!"

"This wasn't my plan either!" Millie screamed. "But Easton, we can't terminate this pregnancy, especially since this baby was made out of love," she whispered.

"Love?" He bitterly laughed. "Millie, there is no love here! Like I said, we barely know each other."

His words felt like a stab to the chest. This whole time he hadn't loved her, he probably didn't even care for her. What was she to him? A dirty mistress? Some sort of toy?

"You don't love me?" She mumbled, letting tear fall.

"Did I ever say it to you before?" He spat.

This was the real Easton, Millie thought. This was the Easton she had met the first day at the library, only more cruel. She couldn't be here any more, she had to get out. She wouldn't listen to him about the baby, she would keep it even if he didn't want her to.

"You're a horrible man." It was all she managed to muster out between the tears while she stormed to the door.

Upon opening the door, she stood face to face with another woman. She cocked her head to the side, then turned to Easton. Millie did the same.