Chapter Nine

When the doctor finally enters the waiting room, I immediately turn off my phone and stand up, limping over to him.
"How's my mom?" I bite my lip in worry, clenching my hands into tight fists so that they turn white.
"Your mother is alive", he tells me, raising an eyebrow. "Are you alright?"
"I was here yesterday. Stitches."
"Then you should definitely be off your foot, young lady. Come with me, and I'll get you a crutch. Then I'll let you see her."
I nod at my father. "Do me and my mom a favor and don't let him in."
"Of course", the man agrees, already walking.
I sigh, and follow him into the hallway. A nurse comes up to him, speaking quietly into his ear. He nods and says something back, gesturing in my direction.
The doctor leaves without a word, but the woman walks over to me with a comforting smile on her face.
"Doctor Pruitt said you needed a crutch", she says. "Wait here, and I'll hook you up with one."
I force a smile and nod. "Thanks."
"No problem", she returns, turning around and walking into a room a few feet away to the right.
The nurse comes back a minute later holding the crutch, with I take thankfully, tucking the offering underneath my arm.
"Now, let's take you to your mother."
I nod again, following her down the hallway, all the way to the room at the end of the hall.
FURLEN is written in bold letters on the whiteboard that is bolted to the wooden door, and as I read it, I take a deep breath, reminding myself that I am a Furlen. I am strong.
I step into the hospital room and hop over to the bed, where the nurse pulls out a chair for me.
"Thank you", I whisper, swallowing the fear that causes a major lump to form in my throat.
My mom lies on her back on the mattress, an IV connected to her wrist. Her face is pale, and I watch through tearful eyes as her chest rises and falls with each breath she takes.
I can't help it; I just have to cry.
>>>>------->
It takes a few hours for her eyes to open, and when they do, they are wide in panic.
I jolt upright in my chair, setting my hand quickly on top of hers
"Mom, it's okay. You're okay", I say quietly, my voice breaking.
Her head turns to look at me, and she moves her hand out from under mine, her movements sluggish as she reaches up to wipe a tear off of my cheek.
"Thank god you're okay", she says weakly. "Are you alright?"
I nod a little. "T- Tyler got me out. I called the cops, and I ran back. It was over by then, but now- now, Mom, Dad is back."
"What?" Mom lifts up her head, then let's it drop. "No, oh god, please no."
"He said he wants to be back in our lives. That he's changed."
"No. He hasn't and he never will."
"I know", I murmur. "I told the doctor not to let him in."
"But they will", my mother says quietly. "He's still my husband. He disappeared before I could divorce him."
The door opens again, and the nurse says, "Ma'am, your husband would like to see you."
"Let him in", she says.
"Mom! What are you doing?!", I hiss. "I thought we don't want him in our lives!"
"Trust me."
I nod and shut my mouth, and just hold my mother's hand as my father steps into the room.
"Chloe", he breathes. "Oh, honey."
"I'm not your honey, Will", she replies softly. "Why are you here?"
"Coco, I have changed, and I want to know you, and Tess, again."
"Leave us alone", I burst out. "You've been away for nine years after you betrayed us. Leave, and never come back."
"Tess", my mother warns. "Please. Answer the question, Will. Now."
"I wanted to be part of my family", he says. "Tess is my daughter too, and I will fight for her."
"Are you threatening to go to court?", Mom asks. "That won't end well."
"Tess, come with me", my father orders, and I stand up.
I drop my mom's hand and turn to face him. "No."
"What?", he exclaims angrily. "Come here now!"
"No", I repeat. "You cheated on Mom, and you stayed away until now. You're a liar and I will never not hate you. Leave, because I will never obey you."
"This isn't over", he says. "I hope both of you know that."
"Bring it", I spit.
"Teach her to respect her family", my father snaps. "Until I bring you down, Chloe."
I watch him storm out, then turn back to my mother.
"He isn't serious, right?", I ask. "Mom, tell me that Dad isn't going to court."
"He's not kidding", she says. "Oh god."
"Mom?"
"Yes, honey?"
"Are you going to be okay?"
"Tess, I'll be okay. I'm just off my feet for a while, that's all."
"Momma, you were shot in the chest. You're lucky to be alive."
"I'm sorry to interrupt", Detective McCormick says from the doorway. "But we need to ask you some questions about your attacker."
"It was the man Tess kicked in the face yesterday", Mom says weakly. "Said that it was because she betrayed him, that this is was what happens when someone goes to the cops."
I hang my head in shame. This is on me. This is my fault.