Chapter Sixteen

I wake up lying on probably one of the most comfortable beds ever.
My father sits on a different bed, quietly flipping through channels on the television.
"What time is it?", I ask, rubbing my head as I sit up.
"Around 3:45", Will answers, glancing in my direction. "How you doing?"
"I'm okay", I say. "Is there a computer here?"
"No, but I can get you set up", he answers. "What do you want to use it for?"
"So I can go on Netlix and watch The Flash. I gotta know what happens next or I might die." I fall onto a pillow, holding the back of my hand to my forehead dramatically.
My dad laughs. "I'll send someone to pick up your things from that detective's place."
He was watching me. This whole time, he was watching me.
"Okay. Can I have some coffee?", I ask, hopping off of the mattress.
"Only if you make me a cup", Will replies. "You can take a cinnamon roll from the cupboard if you're hungry."
"Yay." I walk over into the other room and stop in front of the coffee maker.
Once everything is setup and turned on, I walk over to the shelf and grab the box of rolls before trotting back into the main room.
"Do you want any?", I ask, just as my dad hangs up the phone.
He smiles at me and answers, "I'm good for now, sweetie. Just remember to take one."
"Okay." I turn back, sighing inside as I go back into the kitchen.
I'm not a child anymore.
When the coffee is ready, I pour it out into two mugs, taking the larger one to my father, who takes it and quickly kisses my hair before going back to tapping on his phone.
"Tess?", he says as  I start walking back to get my own drink and snack. I half turn, waiting for him to speak. "Your things will be here in a few hours."
"Okay. Thanks, Dad." I turn and pad over to the counter, taking a sip of warm coffee.
"What do you want to do until your things arrive?", Will asks when I climb back up onto my bed, already enjoying my cinnamon roll.
I consider for a moment. "All I can think about right now are pain meds. My leg hurts. I left my crutch at the hospital."
He tosses a small packet at me, and I catch it awkwardly. "Take one."
"Thanks." I open it  and plop one of the pills onto my tongue, swallowing it with a swig of coffee.
"Now, what do you want to do?", he asks.
"I don't know", I answer. "Medicine tends to hit me hard."
"Well, once you're asleep, I'll go out and get you a new crutch", Will says. "That sound good?"
"Yah", I mumble, chugging the rest of my coffee before taking another bite of cinnamon roll.
He gets up and stoops over to kiss my forehead.
"I'm going to lock you in here. Someone will be outside the door if you need anything. Okay?"
I nod and keep eating.
"If you get hungry again, there's some fruit in the fridge."
"Dad, I'm fifteen and a half", I say. "I'll be okay, I promise."
"I know. I just don't like leaving my little girl alone. But I promise, this time, we are going to be the best family ever."
I smile. "I know", I lie. "I believe you."
"I'll be back soon, I promise."
I wave, finishing my food just as he walks out the door.
»»»»-----------»
"I'm back!" I hear the door unlock and open, then close again. "Tess?"
"Mmmmm. Go away", I mumble into my pillow. "I'm sleepy. Shut up."
"Such a nice daughter I have", Will replies, walking over and kissing my hair. "You gonna wake up for Dad?"
"No", I groan. "Go away."
"Come on. Get up."
I moan sleepily and burrow my head underneath the pillow.
"Okay, guess we're doing this the hard way", my father laughs. "Guess I'm going to have to tickle you!"
I blink open bleary eyes and peek out. "You aren't serious."
"Oh, but I am. Here, I'll prove it to you." He reaches over and pulls on my arm, yanking me gently into his lap.
I look up into his violet eyes. "Please don't do this."
"Too late." He tickles me and I giggle, twitching and trying to break free.
"Daad!", I squeal, my stomach starting to hurt as I continue laughing. "Okay, okay, I'm up!"
He stops, and just holds me there in his arms, and as much as I hate him, there's no denying how much he really loves me.
No matter how hard I've tried not being like him, we have more in common than I thought.
I've become a liar.