Chapter Eighteen

"A1", I say, my hand hovering over a red peg. I know I'm right.
"How do you do this?", Will exclaims. "How do you always know where the ships are?!"
"It's a secret", I laugh, putting the red in it's place.
"It's a secret only if it's kept one", he replies. "You win."
I yawn, covering it with one hand, laying my head down on the table for a minute.
"We should get you up to bed", my dad says, and I lift up my head.
I'm not tired", I say, and immediately yawn again.
"You suck at lying, honey", he replies, standing up and walking around the table. "Come on, on your feet."
I remember that I may be his daughter, but I'm also his prisoner before standing up and letting him wrap an arm around my shoulders.
I close my eyes and let him help me stumble back to the room and into bed.
"Goodnight, sweetheart."
Night Dad."
I'm already tired of pretending to love him, and all I want is my mom.
I want to be home again.
>>>>--------->
"Morning sunshine."
"Mmmm." I blink and lift up my head. "What time is it?"
"Very early. I have to work for a while, hon. I didn't want you to freak out when I was gone. Xander's gonna keep an eye on you for me, okay?"
"So, let me get this straight", I say groggily, sitting up. "You're gonna have one of
the guys who work for you, watch me sleep, watch me eat, and watch me watch a TV show."
"Yeah, that sounds about right, Tess", he says, sliding on his coat. "What's your point?"
"My point is that I'm fifteen", I say, stretching. "I can stay home alone. I don't need to be babysat."
"You said a few days ago that I don't know you, and you were right, Tess. I don't. And until we spend more time together, I don't like the thought of leaving you alone. So yes, Xander is going to babysit you. Are we clear?"
"You're being unfair!", I exclaim. "I can be alone for a few hours! I'm mostly going to be asleep, and I don't want a stranger to watch me do so!"
ENOUGH!", he roars, strolling back over. "This is not your decision. It's mine."
"But-" He covers my mouth, gently forcing my head into the board behind me.
"I understand that you and Chloe have adapted your own lives, but you're in my world now. And in this world, you obey me without question, or you go back to being tied to a chair, do you understand me?", my father says harshly. "We can have more days like yesterday, but only if you are on your best behavior. Clear?"
I nod my head, eyes wide.
He doesn't let go, just continues, "Xander is going to watch you, and you are going to be good. If I find out that you have done anything I would not approve of, I will punish you. That is fair."
I nod again, and my dad releases me. I don't move as he kisses my hair.
"I'll be back later, honey. Go back to sleep."
I watch him go before pulling out my computer.
"I thought you weren't a morning person."
"Hi person I hate so much", I say, logging on. "And yes, I usually I am. But someone woke me up, so unfortunately I'm awake for the day."
"Why do you have to hate me?", the young man asks, walking towards me. "Aren't you at least going to eat?"
"I don't eat breakfast. And I hate you because you are the one who has put me in this position. I have to obey the man who, by the way, I hate. So thanks a lot, wanna drug me again?"
He chuckles, lying flat on his back, considering as he pulls out his phone. "Actually, if it means shutting you up, then yeah, I got Novocaine in my pocket."
"Novocaine is a pain number", I point out, opening a browser to cover up my open email tab. When I'm convinced Xander won't look, I go back to my email and type in Tyler's.

Tyler-
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS. I was kidnapped by my father, but I'm okay. We're going to be a family. A good one. And while I will miss you and my mother, I want to be with him.
This is saying goodbye.
- Tess

I send the message and go back to the browser.
"What should I research today?", I ask him. "I want to make Dad stop being mad at me."
"Oh, he's going to be pissed", Xander replies. "Especially when he finds out you sent an email."
"I was telling my friend goodbye", I hiss. "How did you even know?"
He holds up his phone for me to see. "There's a bug on your laptop. I see what you see, kid."
"Great." I slam the computer shut. "Why does life have to suck?"
"It's simple, actually", the man replies. "It sucks because you make it that way."