Epilogue: Three Months Later

I kneel down in front of the tombstone, clutching the bouquet of wildflowers in one scarred hand.
"Hey Sara", I say quietly. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you Christmas morning." I pause, then continue, thinking about what I want to say to my dead best friend. "But I will never forget you, nor the good things you were a part of."
I set the flowers down before rising to my feet. I turn away from the gray stone, walking back to the car, where Tyler and my mom are waiting for me.
"How you doing, kiddo?", my mother's boyfriend asks.
I smile as I buckle my seatbelt and nod.
"Let's go home."
»»»»-----------»
I look at the still unopened present in my nightstand drawer, still wrapped in red and green wrapping paper.
I think I'm finally ready.
After a moment, I pick up the box and take it with me to my bed, sitting cross-cross on my mattress.
I tear the paper, tossing it onto the cream colored carpet before reading the note taped to the cardboard, written in Sharpie.

TESS-
MERRY CHRISTMAS. LOOK, I KNOW I'VE MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES, MOST OF WHICH YOU PROBABLY HAVE FIGURED OUT BY NOW. BUT I WANT YOU TO KNOW, THAT EVEN WHEN I WAS HIGH OR DRUNK, THE ONLY THING GOOD THAT STAYED BY MY SIDE WAS YOU.
YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND, AND YOU ALWAYS WILL BE.
FOREVER AND ALWAYS,
SARA.

I remove the note, carefully setting it aside before lifting the lid of the cardboard box.
I reach in and pull out a rectangle box.
I open that, finding another one inside if it.
This goes on for about three more times, until I reach the last one.
Inside is a necklace, with a handcuff charm and the words Partners In Crime.
Don't I know it, I think with a small smile. Thank you Sara. Rest in peace forever.