Chapter 5 | The Tournament [Part II]

Skye had finally made her way back to Queen Frigga's side, in which she eager to see the tournament begin. She was kindly asked to be seated to the right of her majesty in the absence of her sons Thor and Loki, whilst King Odin sat to her left, located within the centre of the observation tent.

Positioned before them upon the open grass training field, the jousting arena was presented, covered with layers of thick sand of the finest quality.

A royal chiming horn was enunciated through the air, captivating everyone's attention, drawing them to the various stands located around the arena.

"It is with great pleasure and dignified honour that I present to you, the crowned royals and public of Asgard, this years 'Biannual Jousting Challengers'." A singular yet poised voice uttered as a few remaining souls found their seats within the crowd.

Not a moment later, eight of the finest Asgardian Jousters calmly paced upon across the field of the arena, seated upon backs of their noble steeds. Sternly turning to face his majesty the King and Queen, each and every competitor aligned their horses like multi-coloured checkers in the royals direction, firmly placing a clasped fist upon their chest, bowing their heads in respect.

Skye's eyes observantly glanced across the line of competitors, suddenly pausing as they reached Mathis. She couldn't supress the smile that crept across her face as she perceived his fine posture. He had the reins of his stallion gently clasped within one hand, his helmet tucked under his armoured arm, while the other was devoutly placed upon his chest in reverence.

Skye's pulse quickened, her cheeks exposing a sudden crimson flush as she realised she had been staring at him for no apparent reason. Mathis detected this, bowing his head in amusement, as Loki too observed her blushing form from where he sat upon his steed in the centre of the arena. His fists clenched in anguish, for he knew this young maiden would never notice him any more than a servant would be expected to perceive a prince. This pained him and he lowered his head in shame. Loki was determined to catch her attention, and he would go through any means to do so.

Skye's eyes continued to travel across the line of brave Asgardian men in armoured suits. She noted the presence of Sir Fandral, Prince Thor, Sir Alexandros, Sir Hogun, Sir Fravardin, Prince Loki-

Prince Loki

Her eyes paused, blankly admiring the sharp features of his jaw before traveling to approve of his pristine armour. He too wore similar armour to Mathis, but his sleeveless tabard upon his frame was made of rich emerald coloured velvet, contrasting his eyes. The V-shaped hem was laced in opulent golden fabric engulfed by leather belt of the same colour. His tabard was engraved with a golden eagle-like symbol, adjacent to Thor's that unified a lion upon his affluent crimson velvet tabard.

Loki's dark locks were roughly forced to one side in escort of the gentle breeze as he straightened within the polished leather saddle upon the back of his steed. His eyes were stunning, almost glowing as they scanned the crowed, moving past his parents to stop at Skye's observant eyes.

As a result they suddenly dropped to the floor in embarrassment, just as they had within his mother's chambers the previous day.

Oh, how he loved the sight of her blush. It was only more assuring for he knew the reason in which he had accomplished this unexpected action. Loki tiled his chin upward, confidently raising his head along with the other residual competitors, before turning his steed to relocate into the marshalling area.

As the day proceeded it was announced that within the first round the selected four were to progress to the second round.

Prince Thor vs Sir Aelfweard