Chapter 14 | Archangel

[Past]

Loki’s body looked almost unresponsive as Skylar watched her father supportively drag him to the safety of the riverbank.  Fisting her hands into the sandstone, she watched from a far as the lifeless prince lay perfectly still.

Then his lungs compressed, leaving him in an eruption of breathless coughs. Grovelling in the snow -Loki stilled before the modest General took the young boy into his arms, carrying him with care to the safety of the castle.

Skylar watched in awe as Frigga ran across the bridge to receive her son. Loki was physically and emotionally drained, hanging onto consciousness by a thread within the General’s arms.  Odin however, was reluctant to greet his son with such enthusiasm  - Thor by his side.

“Father-” Thor began, gazing up at his father with concern.

Odin needn’t say a word. The sharp beckoning of his head sent Thor on his way in a heartbeat, sprinting across the frosted bridge to stand by Skylar’s side.

Skye continued to watch, ignoring Thor entirely to notice the fragile prince. Her father, bold in all his glory was a humble man- loving as any father would be, and cared for the two princes just as he would his own.

“Inside, if you would be so kind Edrick.” Frigga uttered, kindness evident within her voice.

General Edrick gave the Queen an instructive nod before proceeding past his concerned daughter. As he did, Loki mustered all his remaining strength – avoiding his now broken arm, to extend his hand to Skylar’s, returning the magic stone.

“Loki, I’m so sorry-”

“I forgive you.” He mumbled, silencing her pleas before he passed out completely.

Skylar stared wide eyed, clenching the stone to her chest as the prince disappeared into the golden citadel. Tears brimmed within her eyes as she began to bite her lower lip in a nervous manner. Sinking to her knees, she couldn’t supress the sobs.

That was until she noticed the beaming stone within her clenched palm. Releasing her harsh grip, she gaped at its beauty before abruptly dropping it.

[Present]

The Asgardian citadel, masked by dancing shadows in the dead of night, was cast into utter silence at the frantic movement of Queen Frigga and her rasping breaths. Fragmented clouds of startling white dotted the black sky, and the pale glow of the moon shone down from among them, reflected in the rejuvenation of green vegetation around the palace courtyard, soon leaving a luminous emerald haze against its golden walls.

The palace seemed to grow richer and more opulent as Frigga grew restless – following the endeavoured strides of the King himself as he moved down the darkening hallways at great pace. Frigga struggled to keep up with his superior form, determined to converse about the grievous matter that had just passed them both.

“How could you be so cruel!? She is but a child!” Frigga roared, unable to believe her husband had just slighted and deprived a young maiden of her hard eared position.

“YES!” Odin thundered, turning to glare at his wife. “A young girl indeed, but a young girl found out of place – never the less!”

“Out of place! You don’t even know the extent of their affairs!” Frigga claimed.

“I shouldn’t have to.”

“Do you forget who she is!? What you promised to her father!” Frigga cried out once more. “Had he not died, she would be as much a part of this family as your sons!”