Chapter 28

"Tsunade-sama!" "Lady Tsunade!" Torune and Shizune shouted at the same time, while running into the office.

Tsunade froze, a sake bottle sitting suspiciously on her desk with a cup held near her lips. She eyed them like a child with its hand in the cookie jar before slowly moving the sake bottle out of sight.

Sitting the cup down, she folder her hands on the desk and spoke to them as if nothing happened, "Yes?"

Shizune squeezed her eyes shut as she pulled at her hair while muttering to lowly, "Shizune... Let it go... You have more important things to discuss..."

Torune quickly stepped forward, "Tsunade-sama, I have a report of a child matching Nara Kanoko's description attempting to enter the kinjutsu scroll vault. The patrol shinobi were able to scare her off, but..."

Shizune looked at Torune with wide eyes before turning back to Tsunade and speaking quickly, "I also have a report of Kanoko entering the archives and leaving with a variety of scrolls!"

Tsunade tilted her head while raising an eyebrow, "Nara Kanoko? OUR Nara Kanoko?"

Torune and Shizune turned to each other before turning back to their Hokage and nodding. Suddenly the doors slammed open and in rushed Izumo and Kotetsu.

"Hokage-sama! Nara Kanoko just raced out of the village with a large bag on her back!" Kotetsu yelled.

Running forward, Izumo moved in front of the Hokage's desk, "And as she passed – without talking to us – she dropped this!" Izumo placed a scroll on Tsunade's desk.

Tentatively, she picked it up before unsealing it. Her eyes traveled over the text before speaking out loud, "C-ranked mission reports from... Ten years ago?"

The doors slammed open again to reveal three angry looking elders. Tsunade sighed dramatically as Koharu, Homura, and Danzo approached her desk – moving the other ninja out of the way with a pointed look.

Koharu was the first to speak, "We are hearing reports from all parts of the village about one of your ninja wreaking havoc!"

Homura quickly joined in, "Tsunade, what in the world is going on?! In a time like this, with the Village Hidden in the Waterfall at our border, threatening war, you must act quickly and swiftly!"

Tsunade slammed her hand on the desk as Danzo opened his mouth to speak up as well. He narrowed his eyes at her interruption as Tsunade spoke, "Enough! I will act how I choose and when I choose!"

Turning to Torune, Tsunade spat out an order, "Bring me Nara Shikaku – no wait, he's still in the hospital..." Tsunade rubbed her forehead, "I really need to learn how to control my temper..." Taking a moment to think she revised her order, "Bring me Nara Shikamaru!"

Torune nodded and teleported out of the area.

Danzo cut in, not happy with Tsunade's treatment towards him, "We demand an explanation Tsunade. As Homura pointed out, this is a critical time and these incidents around the village were quite public – we need answers to give to our people."

Tsunade scoffed, "Because you're such a people person."

Koharu quickly chastised her, "Tsunade, do not make light of the situation. We only act in the interest of the village and your dismissal of the events is frightening. I heard this Nara even attempted to break into the vault of kinjutsu scrolls!"

Homura nodded to his old teammate, "I heard that as well. We need to send hunter nin out to bring her back and interrogate her."

Tsunade started to respond, but was distracted by Torune entering the room with Shikamaru in tow. Walking into the room with an alert expression – recognizing the village elders right away – Shikamaru regarded Tsunade with a slight bow, "Hokage-sama, you summoned me?"