Chapter 4: Samuels P.O.V (optional)

This small chapter is really optional to read. It's not as though you're missing something vital to the story line if you miss this, I just thought I needed to alternate between Lauren and Samuel's P.O.V regularly, but I don't know, lately I'm feeling that the actual story about her getting to know Sam needs to take place in her POV, but then that completely throws off my plan about them having equal writing time. I don't know. I'm a writer, but an amateur one at that, and I can only hope this turns out as semi decent.

_

I kicked the trash can as I walked down the streets of New York like I had done so many times before, only this time I was kicking everything in my past and cursing. I tugged my black shirt back on over my head shortly after Lauren left, intending to go find her to apologise, for evidently upsetting her somehow. However, when I saw her being carted away into Jack's jeep, I realised that I had missed my chance and started my way down the streets of New York; not really sure where I was going, and not really caring.

How could I have upset her on my first time talking to her?! Was I that damn useless? What had I done wrong?! My temper fuelled my steps as I just barrelled faster down the street, still not sure where I was going, and still, not really caring, thoughts of Lauren swirling my head.

I felt awful. The way she'd ran away-crying, for fuck's sake! I couldn't help the growl that escaped my mouth this time as I started to walk down by the canal, "God damn it!"

"Cursing God? First day on earth and already saying the Lords name in vain. Some would say you're going rogue,"

I jumped out of my skin, and span around to see Marcel stood a few metres away from me. He had a half smile etched onto his face, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his lab coat. Before I could respond, he nodded his head towards me, "Nice outfit," He commented.

I looked down at myself in my simple black jeans and tee shirt, and almost cracked a smile. I would have if it wasn't for the confusing night I'd just had.

"I decided that if I'm going to pretend to be an alive guy, I might aswell wear alive guy clothes right? Besides, I was getting bored of wearing the same outfit from the fateful day I died again and again," I retorted, gesturing back towards Marcel's ensemble, "I bet you're desperate to get out of that jacket,"

Marcel shrugged, beginning to pace beside me. I fell in step beside him, and it was like I was still a working Cupid, strolling down the side of the canal with my best friend.

"I think I look sexy in a lab coat," Marcel cracked a smirk. "Do you agree?"

I rolled my eyes at Marcel's antics, deciding not to answer that. Marcel pouted, "What, am I not your type? It's because I don't have red hair and big boobs isn't it?" He joked, not knowing what the mention of Lauren would do to me. Immediately, the memories flooded back and a scowl set onto my face.

"Dude, what's up? Seriously," He halted, stopping me with him. I turned to face him, sighing, "I met Lauren tonight and she ran away from me," I told him, "crying,"

"Are you serious? Man, are you okay? Tell me what happened,"

And that's how I ended up sitting at the side of the canal, at three a.m, explaining to my Cupid best friend, about what had been possibly the best night of my life and the worst, all at the same time.

When Marcel was finished listening to my rambling, he rolled his eyes at me. I narrowed my eyes at him, "What?" I snapped.

"It's obvious why she was upset. Are you stupid?"

"No, I'm not,"

"Yes, you are. You've told me enough about Lauren that even I know why-you're just overwhelmed by the return of the intensity of human emotions. Self-doubt, worry and blame is keeping you from seeing clearly," Marcel explained, "Take this: Lauren Miller, beautiful girl, right? Horrible track record of relationships. Can you imagine the amount of times she has felt absolutely humiliated when it comes to guys? Guys, walking all over her, laughing at her and making her feel stupid," He trailed off expectantly, as though thinking that after his great revelation, I was supposed to use his knowledge to somehow figure out the puzzle in my head.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"It has everything, to do with it, man, come on,"

"Are you trying to imply that I walked all over her, laughed at her and made her feel stupid?"

"No-" Marcel huffed, "Look, what I'm saying is, Lauren's...special. She's sensitive and for good reason. When you teased her, she might have taken it a little more personal than she should have. She probably felt embarrassed,"

"Well she didn't need to," I frowned at the thought, "I was just trying to flirt. And seeing her blush-she's cute when she blushes," I smiled at the memory.

Marcel shrugged, "I don't know man. Girls are weird."

"You would have thought after all these years as a cupid, I'd have plenty of experience in this apartment. I've matched hundreds of couples. Why can't I do it for myself?" I asked frustratedly.

Marcel patted me on the shoulder, pulling me along with him as we barrelled on down through the sidewalk of the canal, up to the steps that led back to the main street. "Where are you staying tonight?" Marcel asked me, and I paused. That had completely blanked my mind! I needed somewhere to stay. I scratched the back of my head, looking at the creases in the concrete side walk, light reflecting from the lampposts, settling an orange glow over our path.

"I guess I could plant a seed in somebody's mind to let me stay over..that's not against the rules, right?"

"Probably," Marcel answered, "But that's not as though it's going to stop you anyway, is it?"

I shook my head, "Probably not."

M(ֲx̠!