Two

They say that when you meet a best friend, you two have a lot in common. Like, you both have the same favorite boy band, the same favorite book, and belong to the same fandom.

At least, that's what I think they said.

Clearly, I have hearing problems, because Franzyn was the complete opposite of me.

"Why did you dive into the river just to find a piece of necklace?" I asked her, because really, who does that?

She gave me a look that says, 'I-can't-believe-this-girl-just-asked-me-this-question.'

"This--" She did a quoting motion with her hands. "--'piece of necklace' here is clearly an artifact." She explained. "It probably has a significant history."

Yeah right, I thought. Like people dropping it into the lake isn't enough.

Franzyn squeezed her hair like a wet towel.

I asked her why she went with her uniform.

"I don't have a swimsuit or a diving gear." She told me.

I should have never asked.

"So why are you still here at school at this fine hour?" She asked as she tried to squeeze a part of her soaking wet skirt.

"I'm just admiring the beautiful view of the sunset." I answered.

"You're having a sentimental moment."

"No I wasn't."

"Yes you were. I saw you, you were probably thinking, 'Oh I hope senpai noticed me,' or 'I remember the times when you and I were together' and stuff."

"You were spying on me?"

"No. Why would I wanna do that?"

"Erm, never mind."

Then I asked her, "You want to be an archaelogist, don't you?"

She smiled and nodded. "I'm gonna be the best archaelogist out there. And it'll start by finding out the history of this necklace." She said while showing the thing. "And I hereby declare that you will be my assistant." She pointed at me.

I can't believe this.

I'm not adventurous, I don't even like the smell of grass, I don't like the outdoors, and I'm not athletic enough.

"Why me?" I asked her.

Her smile widened---I swear she'll split her face in half. "Why? It's because I want to."

Yes, that did explain everything.

I sighed. No use of running for it anyway.

"So what's your first order ma'am?" I asked.

She pointed at her clothes. "I'm gonna need a change. Do you have an extra?"

I nodded. "This way boss." I said as I led the way.