BREAKING NEWS

The Santiago Post

NEUROSURGEON HOSPITALIZED AFTER TRAUMATIC HOSPITAL SHOOTING

K. Narita | Nov. 3rd, 9:47 a.m.

NEW SANTIAGO, C.A.—At 9:06 a.m. today, the Santiago Grace Hospital staff suffered a devastating blow. A deadly shooting by a grieving mother placed world-renowned neurosurgeon Adalina Moretti in the intensive care unit, as well as delivering minor injuries to two interns.

After SGH doctors failed to properly treat the spongiform encephalopathy—a fatal brain disease—of patient Trevor Hawley last week, mother Georgia Hawley allegedly entered the hospital at 8:56 a.m. holding a handgun. She demanded to see the neurosurgeon who had operated on her son.

When Moretti and the assisting doctors arrived, Hawley fired four shots into the crowd. The bullets grazed interns Delaney Volkov and Ying Li. Hawley then fired three rounds into Moretti's chest.

Moretti collapsed onsite and was immediately taken to the ICU. Police officials have taken Hawley into custody.

Adalina Moretti, known as Ada by her close colleagues, is an internationally recognized neurosurgeon who holds a double Board certification. She graduated at the top of her class from Columbia medical school and did her internship and residency at SGH. Her loss has been felt deeply by the SGH staff.

"Ada was such a bright presence," said Shivani Chatterjee, an attending at the hospital. "As corny as it sounds, she could always make you smile, no matter how tired you were after a thirteen-hour surgery."

Those of us at the Santiago Post wish an expedient and healthy recovery for neurosurgeon Moretti.