Chapter 12

Xavier's POV:

As soon as Rachel and her parents walked in I could tell something was off. The way she talked, or should I say, didn't talk around them. The way she acted and the looks her mother would give her. I also found it strange how Rachel's father had similar features to her but yet her mother looked nothing like her. Her bright blue eyes, the little freckles around her nose and the dimple on her left cheek whenever she smiles, Mr Ambers had all of these things (although his eyes were more green than blue) but Mrs Ambers had none, in fact she was probably the complete opposite! There is something about that family that she isn't telling me, and I am determined to find out what.

I know that she isn't going to tell me, she practically hates my guts. But I could try and get Faith to be friends with her... Girls tell each other everything, right? With that I grabbed my phone and told Faith everything. Of course at first she said no, saying that it was harsh and to do it myself, but I then told her that this must be better then what is happening already with Rachel. Hopefully I'll soon find out what is going on in that girl's world...

Rachel's POV:

I think you can guess what happened when I got home after dinner. I obviously wasn't perfect, and I was made damn well aware of every little thing that I did wrong. You ate too much, you spoke too much, you didn't say enough, your dress was too slutty, your hair was a mess, heck they even punched me on how I held my fork! They're also getting suspicious about how close me and Xavier are, I can't let him get any closer or I don't know if I'll be able to see the sunrise the next day.

When I got to school the next day I kept my head down and spent break and lunch in the library , I though I was doing okay at avoiding everyone, that was until I had to go to my locker and of course Faith saw me, "Hey, Rachel!" she said, overly excited.

"Oh, hi.." I replied, obviously not as enthusiastically.

"So I was thinking about going shopping on Saturday, and well I can't see the boys joining me, no matter how much I bribe Archie with sex.." She trails off, obviously lost in some past memory. "So do you want to join?" She asks. Oh no I cant go out, I won't be able to move after what Lynda and Will will do to me!

"Oh" Is all I manage to say, I want to come so badly to get away from home, but I can't, I just can't! "I would love to, but, um I'm really busy." I quickly rush the words out and start to walk away.

"Well at least give me your number so we can organise something later?"

"Oh sorry, can I give it to you later I really need to be somewhere" I'm running out of excuses as to why I can't talk or meet up with people, why won't everyone leave me alone as they did before?! That is one thing I miss about home, British people certainly aren't as friendly or excitable, I can easily hide in the shadows there.

"Sure, see ya later Rach!" she calls after me. Thank God she didn't ask any questions. I basically ran out of school so that I didn't have to see or talk to anyone else. 

When I got home I was thankful to see that no one was home, I could at least have a couple hours to myself without beaten. I look around my room, imagining the day I finally leave this place. The thought reminds me that I need to start looking for possible apartments. I have managed to save enough to put a deposit down at least. I'm thinking of starting my new life in New York, the Big Apple. It reminds me the most of home and seems the best place for a brand new start. I make a mental note to go to the library tomorrow and use the computers to look, and maybe book a flight there on my 18th birthday, although I haven't decided on whether to finish high school here and then leave, or try to carry on my education in New York.

My internal debate is suddenly interrupted by Xavier pulling into his drive, the roar of his engine causing my chest to rumble. I love the window seat in my room, its my little paradise in a personal hell-hole. As Xavier steps out he looks across the road and makes contact with me in my room. I try to reassure him with a smile, it must have been convincing enough as he smiles back and proceeds to walk to his house. Once he is out of view again, I allow myself to get lost in deep thought once more. 

Maybe I should've taken Faith up on her offer of shopping, I've always wanted to have a best friend, someone who is like a sister to me, who I can always rely on. But then the memories of the consequences flash through my eyes, as I trace the scars on my stomach which are my permanent reminders. My new life can not come fast enough, there are so many things I want to do, ranging from normal every day activities like going out with friends, to living life to the fullest and sky-diving. Since the death of my mum I've learnt to not take life for granted, embrace all the opportunities given to you. So, I make a mental note to talk to Faith tomorrow, and take her up on the offer of shopping, Will and Lynda have been out most days and nights recently, so I might as well take the risk. What's the worse that can happen? Even if the darkness ends up being permanent, it would be a welcome relief.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------