Chapter 4: Salazar Slytherin

Tori's P.O.V

"Leta? Leta!", I yelled, but she didn't seem to hear me.

She walked straight into the forest and I didn't know what to do. I felt panic growing inside of me as I watched her.

"Tori?"

I screamed when Newt touched my shoulder.

"Please! Never. Do. That. Again! You scared the hell out of me!"

"I'm sorry. I promise this won't happen again."

"Do you have any idea what to do? We could call for a professor but if they get to know how we managed to get out of the castle, we'll get expelled."

"Follow her."

I looked at him, not believing my ears, what they just heard. Has he gone mad? But on the other hand, he was right. We needed to follow her. Even if it meant that we weren't getting out of the forest alive.

"You are right. Let's go!"

Leta was already in the forest. I didn't know where she was going. Suddenly I heard a crack behind me and I instinctively held Newt's hand. I looked around but couldn't see anything or anyone. My hands wandered down to my belt, where my wand was resting. It got dark meanwhile and I took out my wand, whispering Lumos.
I rotated and looked for the person or creature that was in our presence. But there wasn't anything, there wasn't anyone except Newt and me. Leta was out of our sight. Maybe it was Newt, who made the noise. Suddenly I heard a whisper, it was a woman's voice. I didn't know, what the voice was whispering, it was a completely different language. I was scared. I was scared as hell! But my curiosity won over me. I wanted to know, who the person was. I wanted to know, what the person was saying.
But I was afraid that I was just imagining this voice.

"Can you hear that too?", I whispered and hoped that Newt would agree so I would get a confirmation, that I was not completely mad.

"Yes, I do. It's parsel."

"Parsel? What is that?"

"It's the language of snakes. Only a few people can speak it."

"I get you. I heard of it once. It's said that only Slytherin's heir could speak it. Do you think that...you know what I mean...that Leta is-"

"Slytherin's heir?", he completed my sentence,"It could be possible."

Newt suddenly poked me and gestured me to let my Lumos disappear. It took my eyes a few minutes to get used to the darkness. When they were ready, Newt pointed at a dark figure, that was disappearing into the ground.

"Leta! That must be her!", I whispered nervously.

Newt nodded and pulled me with him. We ran as fast as possible to the place, where Leta just disappeared. There was a huge hole in the ground. Newt didn't hesitate, he stepped down the small hole immediately. I was right behind him, it was pitch black. I couldn't even see my hands in front of me, I wondered how I even managed stepping down the ladder. I soon reached the ground and I was never happier but when I noticed that my feet were all wet, I wasn't that happy anymore. We were in a canalisation. The smell down here was killing my nose and I still couldn't believe where I was. What I didn't do for my friend's sake!

"Newt? Newt!", I whispered desperately. I just prayed that he didn't go further and let me alone here. Then I felt a hand wrap around my mouth and heard a dimmed whisper:"I'm here Tori. I'm here."

Bless you Newton Scamander! Bless you!

He took my hand and guided me, then he finally took out his wand and whispered Lumos.

I looked around and I was right. I was in a canalisation. Rats rushed past us. The only noise that could be heard was still the whisper of the mysterious woman and the splashing of our feet in the water. We soon reached the end of the tunnel, we were walking and could see a weak amount of light. The whisper got louder and more aggressive. I didn't know what to expect but I was ready for whatever was coming.
Newt suddenly didn't move and looked around the corner. I was curious and wanted to see what he saw, so I crawled underneath him and my jaw dropped, when I looked around the corner.
There was a giant snake, what was it called again...yes! Basilisk! And next to it, Leta was standing. The whisper was coming from her. And from the basilisk. I was eager to know what they were taking about. I was so excited! I felt the adrenaline rush through my veins. I loved adventures, they always gave me the right kick. The made me feel...alive. I didn't care about the rules anymore, I didn't care about the reprimands, I got from the headmaster because of my risky actions. I wanted action. I wanted it back.

"What are they talking?", I asked Newt, in hope that he'd understand anything.

"I wish I knew. Come on, let's get closer."

I nodded and followed him. Newt still didn't let go of my hand. Either it was because he was afraid or he just wanted to make sure that I didn't get lost. Whatever it was, I felt secure. By now, I'm sure his hand started to hurt because the whole time, I was squeezing his hand.
We stepped closer to Leta and the basilisk and it seemed as if Leta was in a a trance.
Suddenly, the basilisk turned around. We didn't dare to move. We waited, what would happen next. And I prayed that the basilisk wouldn't see us. It kept staring at the place, we were standing, but it didn't move. Leta mumbled something in parsel and the giant creature moved in our way. I kept staring at this fantastic creature when Newt pulled me away.
My feet felt numb and the only reason why I was running, was the Hufflepuff boy, who wasn't letting go of my hand.
Did Leta just try to kill us? If yes, damn this would have an aftermath!
Newt pulled me into another corridor. We ran and ran and guess what? Ran. Until we reached a wall.

"It's a deadlock!", I yelled.

I felt liquid run down my back and thought, it was my sweat. But soon I realized, that it was something else. I turned around and saw the giant monster in front of me, how it snarled its teeth.