Poppy's Problem

Poppy Ramona was in big trouble. Really big trouble.

None of what was happening to her made any sense. She was only a college student! All she was trying to do was go to school and live a normal life as any normal person her age could. Now her life was falling apart at the seams.

Poppy sat in a cell in some sort of detainment facility, her arms tied behind her back. Her legs strapped to the chair she sat in. A table sat in front of her, a long table. Kind of like those tables in movies where the good guys would interrogate the bad guys. Only thing was, Poppy wasn't a bad guy. Quite the contrary actually.

A door slammed open, a bright light shone through, causing the girl to wince. Once her eyes adjusted, a figure stood in front of her. A woman with dark skin and short hair. She was wearing a clean pantsuit and a set of pearl earrings. Pretty. The woman sat down in the chair on the other side of the table, facing the girl.

"I assume you know why you are here."

"I actually don't," Poppy answered.

"I find that hard to believe," the woman scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm telling the truth."

The woman gave the girl a hard stare before pulling out a tablet and tapping on the screen. A minute later she turned the tablet around so Poppy could see it. A video was playing. There was Poppy, or what looked like Poppy, using some sort of strange magic to kill people in a stadium. The Poppy on the screen was shooting purple fireballs out of her hands. But the real Poppy didn't have magic, and she never killed anyone before! Poppy looked up at the woman with wide eyes.

"That's not me. I swear."

"So, what," the woman moved her
hand in an annoyed gesture, "You're telling me that's your evil twin sister who popped up out of nowhere and started killing random football fans?"

Poppy shrugged, "At this point anything is possible."

The lady shook her head, "Deny all you want, Poppy. But the evidence is all here," she pointed at the tablet.

Poppy started to panic, "You have to believe me! I've never killed anyone, I swear!"

"Look," the lady leaned slightly over the edge of the table, "I can get you out of here, but at a price. There's a group of super villains I've put together. The worst of the worst. Their goal is to help the world by completing the assignments I give them. When they've proven themselves, I set them free. Would you like that, Poppy? You want to go back to school, don't you?"

Poppy frowned, "But I'm not a super villain."

"In the eyes of society, you are."

The girl forced herself to hold back tears. This was insane. She was being blamed for something she didn't do. "Is this the only choice I have?"

"I'm afraid so. Unless, of course, you'd rather spend the rest of your life rotting away in a cold, dark, cell."

Poppy sighed, looking up at the woman, "What's your name?"

"Amanda Waller."

"And what is the mission?"

"It's on a need to know basis. And unless you agree to my proposition, you don't need to know."

Poppy pursed her lips, "Fine. I'll do it. What have I got to lose?"

☠️☠️☠️

Poppy was drugged, for safety reasons, and transported to another facility. This is where she would begin to be trained for her first mission. While she was asleep, a chip was inserted into the girl's neck. This was a back-up plan for if she tried to turn against Amanda and her cohorts. One click of a button, and it would kill the girl on the spot.

Poppy's eyes blinked open, only to find herself in another dark cell. The girl groaned in pain, her body trying to adjust to the affects of the drug. Maybe she shouldn't have agreed to this.

A small window-hole in the door opened up. Amanda's face shown through from the other side. "Good morning, soldier."

"I don't remember heavy drugs being part of the deal." Poppy frowned.

"It was for our safety, you know that."

"Yeah, well, it stings."

Amanda rolled her eyes, "Do you want out or not?"

Poppy only nodded.

Amanda made a head gesture to some guards on the other side of the door, "Open the door, but have your weapons at the ready."

The door was opened, and Amanda walked in. A troop of armed men followed behind her. The women held up a sort of phone device. It had Poppy's picture on it, along with some other people's pictures she did not recognize. "One wrong move and I push the button."

Poppy nodded, "Got it."

Amanda looked at one of the men, "Get her unstrapped."

The man went over and quickly began to unlock the cuffs from Poppy's wrists and ankles. Soon the girl was free. Poppy stood up, rubbing her sore wrists, "Alright, what's next?"

"Follow me."

Poppy obeyed, following Amanda out of the room and down a long hallway. A little while later Amanda turned briskly and opened a door. It was another cell.

Poppy raised an eyebrow.

"This is where you will be sleeping," Amanda explained, "Get some rest, Poppy. Tomorrow the real works begins."

The girl sat down on a small cot that sat on the other end of the room. Amanda shut the door behind her... and locked it. Poppy stood up and went to the door, jiggling the handle. Great. She was locked in. What kind of sick horror movie was she in?

She rolled her eyes and went back to the cot, laying down with a thud. This was not going to turn out well.