The Squad

Poppy was awoken by the sound of an object banging on the door to her cell.

"Wake up, Princess! Time for work."

The sudden nosies caused her to jump in fright. This became a problem, since her jumping in fright caused her to roll off the side of the cot and face first onto the hard concrete floor.

"Ow..."

The door to her cell opened, letting a ray of light in. A man stood in front of the girl, a large gun in hand. He was wearing army camouflage and a baseball cap was resting on the top of his head. This definitely wasn't Amanda.

The girl sat up and rubbed her sore temple, "Who the heck are you?"

"The name's Rick. Rick Flag. Amanda sent me to come get you."

"Why?"

"Enough with the questions, just follow me."

The only thing Poppy could do was obey, after all he was the one with the gun. The man lead her further down the hallway and into another room. It looked like a conference room. Only more menacing. A group of people where already sitting at the table, all dressed in prison clothes. Amanda stood at the front of the room, near a large computer screen. They all turned to look as Poppy and Rick entered the room. Amanda gave a forced smile.

"Glad you could make it, Poppy. Please take a seat."

Poppy sat down with a huff next to a wide-chested man with scaly skin. "You know you could have just set an alarm."

"Stop complaining. We have work to do."

Poppy frowned. This lady was gonna get her killed.

"Who is she?" questioned a man with a thick Australian accent.

Amanda walked around the table, standing behind Poppy and placing her hands on her shoulders. "Everyone, this is Poppy. She's a new recruit, so I'm expecting you to help show her the ropes."

"What she do to get here?" questioned a man with smooth, brown skin.

Amanda went over to the computer screen and pushed a button. A video popped up, the same video Poppy was shown before.
"Damn..."

Poppy held a finger up, "That wasn't me."

"Looks like ya," the Australian man noted.

"What, you have a vendetta against football or something?" questioned the dark skinned man.

"I might after this fiasco," Poppy mumbled to herself, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What exactly do you want us to train her for?" a woman piped up. She had blonde hair, with the tips dyed pink and blue.

"I'll explain, but first let's get something for Poppy to eat." She signaled over to a soldier that stood in the corner, and he brought a plate of toast and a glass of water. Poppy took the toast in her hand and began to lift it to her mouth, but stopped midair.

Her eyebrow lifted as she looked up at Amanda, "Is this poisoned?"
"Only one way to find out."

Poppy sneered, taking a bite of the toast. She swallowed it, but she didn't fall over dead. Guess it wasn't poisoned.

"Now can you explain?" the man with dark skin retorted.

"There's been strange signals being sent over the radio transmitters. We've tracked the signals and it seems to be coming from a distant planet. We need you to go there and find out what these messages mean and if they are hostile or friendly."

Poppy had been chugging down her glass of water during this, but at the realization that she would have to travel in a spaceship to another planet made her choke and spit out her drink onto the table, "What?!"

Everyone turned to look at her. Poppy frowned at Amanda, she was trying to get her killed! "Listen lady, I didn't sign up for this. I am not about to be sent up in some cramped little rocket just to be killed by some alien creatures."

Amanda shook her head with a laugh, "I hate to break it to you, Poppy, but you signed your life over to me and I'm the only one who gets to decide what you signed up for or not."

Poppy stared at her with a blank expression, her lips parted slightly. What to say? What to do? How would she get out of this?

Amanda turned to the others as Poppy stared blankly into space. "Now that that's settled, you will have two weeks to prepare for your mission. I will prepare the space craft and the supplies, you just focus on getting ready for whatever this planet will have in store."

   "That's it?" the Australian grinned, "Class dismissed?"

Amanda nodded, "Class dismissed."

Amanda then left the room, Rick and the others stayed behind.

    Rick was the first to speak up, "Alrighty then, Poppy. Show us what you can do."

Poppy looked over at him with a confused expression, "What?"