Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Two days since Raven had gone to alert my father of the wraith incident and still no word.

I was getting antsy. It was very unlike Raven not to follow through with his word. Had something happened to him? I had summoned Remi to go scout the area, but he'd come up empty-handed. Dania and Dev had also gone out to town to make sure he hadn't landed there, or the sins hadn't veered off their mission to come here and provide back up. They too had returned with no good news.

Ambrosius was still recovering from the wraith's attack. Unfortunately, the wraith had managed to drink a good portion of his energy, so he was definitely out of comission right now. He needed plenty of rest to recharge and plenty of healthy meals, but he was making it difficult by insisting that he should be working.

"I am not a child," Ambrosius told me in irritation, "I've spent a good day in bed. I am perfectly capable of doing work. I need to file a report for my father. He'll be furious if I don't." He told me all of this while shoving me away from him and climbing out of bed. He wobbled for a moment and I moved to help him, but the look he gave me dared me to touch him and right now, I was in no mood to be struck, nor was I about to comply with his ridiculous demands.

"Ambrosius," I tried again, "You were attacked by a wraith. An incredibly powerful one at that. You need to be in bed regaining your strength. What if the wraith comes back? You won't be powerful enough to fight it. Even gods cannot fight back a wraith." Ambrosius frowned at that, seemed to consider it, then plopped down on the bed, much to my relief.

"Fine," He said at last, then glared up at me, "Bring me something I can do here. Let me file the report."

"Oh for the love of God and all that's holy, Ambrosius. I said rest. Rest means to lay back in bed and relax." I said. Ambrosius scowled.

"Isn't relaxing and resting what got me into this state in the first place?"

"Anza's outside your door keeping watch at all time and Raven casted a barrier spell on the window to keep it out."

"I thought they could go through walls."

"There's barriers on the walls too. Quit trying to make excuses and go to sleep or I'll put you to sleep." I commanded. Ambrosius's glare told me to make the attempt and I was very near to doing so if there wasn't a fissure of power that indicated someone had gotten past the gates, and thankfully, I recognized it and got to my feet. Ambrosius also got to his feet. I glared at him.

"Stay." I ordered.

"Woof." Ambrosius responded mockingly and pushed past me for the door. I shook my head and followed close behind him, watching him and preparing myself to catch him in case he fell. Much to my surprise and relief, he didn't fall. He stumbled once or twice, but managed to get down the stairs without faceplanting.

"Shouldn't he be sleepin'?" Anza asked, catching up with us. I gave her a droll stare and she smirked, shaking her head.

"Men," She stated, "Tell 'em to do somethin', they do somethin' else. Ya'll work on an opposite frequency."

"I could say the same for women." I told her. She gave a "heh" before moving ahead of me to land on the last step with Ambrosius before I got ahead of them and led them outside with Dania and Dev right behind us. The air was particularly hot and dry this afternoon and there was a slight breeze that stirred up the sands around us. The sun was a hot ball of fire, so I pulled my keffiyeh up to hide my face from the sun as I approached the trio that Raven had sent as our back up.

Constantine, the sin of Wrath, stood out front. She was tall and slender with a short cropped dark brown hair and cool grey eyes that seemed brighter with the amount of eyeliner she'd slapped on this morning. She wore the same black uniform that her fellow sins wore.