Chapter Twenty-Eight

Cerberus was going to kill me for this, but Ambrosius deserved to know.

This was his real father we were talking about. And even though Blaine also told me to stay away, I couldn't go on with this kind of information and not share it with Ambrosius. Besides, we needed a moment to catch our breathes before we took off. Hades probably already knew Ambrosius was gone and was going to start sending troops out to make sure no one left the underworld with his son.

"Cerberus's house?" Ambrosius asked, frowning as he stared up at the mansion. Cerberus's mansion was very modern and sharp, made entirely of black onyx much like Hades's palace with dark tinted windows and a lush garden out back that I was sure belonged to Blaine. We didn't have much time to hide, though, so I led the way to the door and knocked a bit loudly. It took a minute before someone answered the door and I was both relieved and concerned that Blaine had answered the door.

He looked the way he did in the video call he'd sent me. Long wavy dark hair that was currently braided loosely, his bangs swept back from his face, his pale emerald eyes searching the doorway blindly. He was much smaller in person, I noticed, having to tilt my head down to look at him. He couldn't be more than five foot six, if even. He wore a pair of bleached jeans and a green t-shirt with an unfriendly crude message across the front being shouted from the drawing of a butterfly.

"Hello?" Blaine asked when no one spoke.

"We need some place to hide." I stated. Blaine blinked a few times before his face darkened and he clenched the door in his hand in preparation to slam it.

"What the hell are you doing here? This isn't your realm." Blaine snapped.

"I'll explain everything in a few minutes, but right now, we need a place to hide." I said. Even though the look on Blaine's face told me to go to Hell, he did step aside to let us in, like he was afraid we'd just trample him down. I let Ambrosius and Remi inside first before following them in and Blaine slammed the door shut behind us, scowling in my direction. He reached his hand out for me, his other hand moving along the door.

"Wait, we? Who the fuck is we?" He demanded, but I didn't answer as I looked around the inside of the home that was heavily decorated with Gothic designs and art, right down to the wrought iron staircase that went upstairs to a gaping stainglass window. Plants littered the tables and there was even some vines wrapping around the staircase.

"Hey," Blaine protested angrily, "I'm talking to you!"

"Blaine, what's going on?" We turned to see a tall dark-skinned man entering the room. His hair was done back in corn rows, his eyes a vivid shade of blue. He wore a black leather vest over a matching turtleneck and leather pants with a belt decorated in weaponry.

"How many people are here, Ayo? Who are they?" Blaine demanded of the man, who pinned me with a glare almost as icy cold as Hades's, which is definitely saying something.

"There are three people here. A shifter, a god, and the demigod," He told Blaine, then turned to me again, "What are your names?"

"I'm Thorn. I'm here with Ambrosius and my servant, Remi." I responded. Blaine went rigid. Ambrosius didn't seem to notice as he looked around the house, a bit amazed. He'd never been here before, so I let him gaze around in awe as I turned to Blaine and Ayo, who was tense and ready to pounce on me if I threatened his adoptive father.

"Hades found out about Ambrosius and I. He's coming after us and I need to settle here just for a couple of hours to recharge what I spent on healing Ambrosius." I explained to him. Blaine didn't speak. He just stood there, frozen, his pale eyes searching. I hesitated, then went over and took Ambrosius by the hand. He frowned at me curiously, but didn't pull away. I led him over to Blaine, then took Blaine's hand. Ayo tensed, but I shot him a glare that made him curl his lip to show off a pair of thick sharp canines. I brought Ambrosius's hand to Blaine's.