Making a Move

Teniyah awoke with a gasp of pain. She fingered the burn wounds on her leg, and inhaled sharply. A parachute floated downward and rested on her knee. She quickly opened the pouch and found a medicinal salve. She slathered it onto her leg, and gasped in relief. Her entire leg felt better immediately. She went back to sleep. 

As soon as she awoke, she began walking around the trees. She had walked perhaps a mile when she saw Marin. Teniyah made her steps quieter as she followed Marin through the forest. Two sides of Teniyah's brain battled over what to do. You want to win, don't you? Your hurt, don't make it worse. Come on, don't be afraid! Don't get hurt! 

Teniyah creeped up behind Marin and threw a spear. It slammed into the tree and made Marin start running. Crap, Teniyah thought, and dashed after her. Marin ran fast, but Teniyah had another spear. She took aim and fired. The spear flew true. Teniyah turned and walked away. She didn't look back as the cannon fired. 

------------------

Adeline was starving. She had run out of food, and was huddled in a ball, trying to think of anything but a warm meal. It was impossible. Ham, eggs, bacon pancakes! Her stomach screamed. Pizza, chicken, pasta, sandwich!  She was so concerned with fantasizing for food, that she didn't notice the figure looming in the trees above her. 

The figure had been perched there awhile, waiting for something to happen. Well this was it. She never even had a chance. The figure threw his sword. Checkmate, Curtis thought as the cannon fired.