23

"Do you need anything for her?" I questioned, standing in the threshold of the bedroom that we had let King Loche lay Queen Estelle in. "Maybe water...or-"

"-No," he interjected. "She is fine."

Sirus had left, muttering something about Rowan, leaving me with the two royals. King Loche was leaning against the wall, watching his wife with his snake like eyes. It was unnerving the way he did not blink much.

"Does this happen often?" I questioned. I really did not feel comfortable leaving her with him. I know they were married but he just seemed scary and untrustworthy. I did not want him to harm Estelle. She just seemed to sweet. Innocent. Uncorrupted to the horrors called 'royalty.'

He nodded his head. "Yes. It happens often. She will be fine within a few hours and no I will not harm my wife. I have no intention of doing so now or later, so you can cease that look of complete and utter worry off of your face."

Were dragons mind readers too? I could not even attempt to say anything back. He was completely right. I did not trust him at all. "Is there anything else you would like to know? Or will you leave us be?"

I felt my cheeks inflame. Was I being to forward? "Why did you pick her...as a wife?"

"Queen Esmeralda you do not seem to pick up hints. I am tired. My wife is sleeping. I will join her. I am not much of a talker so I would suggest you leave us to our peace." I cleared my throat. He was rude. Very rude. Or was I being equally rude? I am not sure anymore....

"I am sorry," I apologized to him as I eyed his hand....it was transforming right before my eyes. "Oh...?" I watched the shiny black scales grow... it was beautifully disgusting. Then I thought about something. The list the witch gave me called for dragon scales.

"I know you want to rid of me but may I ask a very...peculiar favor?"

He rolled his eyes, and made a snarling sound. "What is it?"

"May I have three scales from you? If it is to painful then I would not expect you to but if...um..."

I trailed off as his arm began to be covered in black scales. I watched as he pulled them from his forearm, making an ungodly noise as he did so. I stood in place, fear and intrigue making my limbs stiffen.

Once he was done he walked over to me and placed them in my hands. It was six of them. "Thank you so much...this is very generous of you."

He looked at me as if h were very much annoyed. "Yes well Estelle says I need to be more kind so that is my kind deed for the century. You will use them for jewelry, yes?"

"Of course. Dragon scales are rare and beautiful accessories. Again thank you...I will leave you to your peace." After saying that I quickly left the room.

I had not remembered anything from the list except for that one small detail. I would have to hide them somewhere....

As I passed Eddie's room I pushed the door open slightly. I almost burst into laughter at what I saw. Eddie and Sarah in the middle of the floor. Both wrapped in blankets.

Sighing, I walked over to one of his shelves and hid the scales high enough to where he would never be able to reach. Then I knelt down to make sure both of them were okay.

I picked up Sarah first and laid her on the bed. Then Eddie. Both at respectable distances, then I began cleaning up his room. They must have been playing for a while now. I often heard the maids fussing with them to go to sleep. I was so grateful for little Sarah. She helped in an area where I couldn't possibly interfere.