Part 2

I awoke to the sound of beeping, I was wearing an O2 mask and was laying on a surgical table. People were buzzing around, my vision was blurred unable to focus on anything. Their frantic voices sounded so far away, I held my breath as a sudden pain erupted in my abdomen. I didn't scream, I didn't flinch as I watched everything fade. I wondered what was wrong. Then it was dark.

I awoke in my room, the hospital room I mean. I looked out the window, it was dark, stars shone in the sky and the silver moon throbbed lightly in the night. I sighed, I turned my head, ignoring the pain to see Annabeth sitting on a chair beside my bed, her hands rested on my arm, her head lay on the edge of the bed. She wore a hospital gown and had an IV attached to her four-arm. I remembered when her hair had been matted with blood, her body twisted from years of torture, her eyes broken and horrified. She had been the most beautiful girl I had ever set eyes upon. Now she was showered and clean and the silver light of the moon washed her in a beautiful glow and she was just as beautiful. 

I was able to pull Annabeth onto the bed beside me. She didn't wake, she stayed fast asleep clinging to my bare chest. My arms wrapped around her and finally feeling safe I closed my eyes and began to doze.

I awoke when Annabeth shifted beside me, the sun was now streaming through the window. I looked down at her, I forced a soft smile, she smiled back. Her smile was sleepy. My breath hitched slightly, and I stared into her half-open eyes, gazing through the clouds of raging grey. I saw little flakes of gold and silver. Her head lay on my shoulder, she sighed contently then wrapped her arms around my chest once more. Her small dainty toes brushed against my knee. I craned my head brushing past her lips. 

She placed a hand on my cheek, guiding me back. I melted into her kiss. I felt tears welling in the back of my eyes. I didn't want it to end, to have to open my eyes and see the hospital, the scars, tubes, and monitors, the memories. I didn't want to stop this feeling, the feeling I haven't felt in years. The feeling of happiness and love. I wanted to escape but we had to let go eventually suffocation of either of us was not on my agenda. I smiled down at her as tears streamed down her face. I reached up to wipe away her tears. She caught my hand in hers. "Please don't leave me." She sobbed.

"Never," I whispered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After months of doctors and loneliness, Annabeth sauntered in fully dressed just as I pulled on a shirt grunting through the pain. She walked in on crutches. Her patella had been shattered and needed replacing. They told me that she had to undergo almost 13 surgeries 4 on her knee, 2 on her arm, the rest to stop internal bleeding or something.

I myself had nearly 20 surgeries the majority of which I have little knowledge of. I had asked about money, I asked how much I would need to pay. But the doctors reassured me that the Hospital's donors had taken care of it, that we simply needed to focus on getting better. 

What bothered me still was the fact that we had all these procedures done, that they won't go into much detail about, mostly that they simply saved our lives. They had said they would go on our records and that they would give us all the information we needed later. Something about being underaged or...other. 

Annabeth took my hand and helped me up. We walked out of the door. My right arm was in a sling, I had a thick boot on my left foot and 2 other braces, one for my spine the other for my leg. I clutched my side as I walked, each step threatening to tear through my stitches but I refused to be wheeled out, after months of feeling coddled and helpless this was the least I could do. I could walk out of this hellhole. 

We reached the taxi car and carefully got in with the help from the nurses. After we got in the doctor spoke with the driver for a minute then smiled at us and shut our door. The driver got in and started the engine.

"Where to kids?" The driver asked. Annabeth lent on my good shoulder.

"Manhatten New York," I answered then gave him the address to my mother's house. On the long ride from who knows where to New York we passed through many forests and mountains. The trees we passed seemed to merge together, blocking the sunlight from entering through its intertwining branches. I held a sleeping Annabeth tighter as the trees overtook the road on either side. My mind flashing to the torturous nights I spent alone in Tartarous. Where darkness was everywhere closing in, stealing my breath, clutching my heart in cold hands.

We had been down there for years, our souls slowly decaying until the light of hope flickered out and we felt nothing, nothing but agonizing pain and steely cold horror. I held Annabeth listening to her pulse as it dragged me out from the depths of my mind. One, two, three, four... I breathed in time to the beat. Nine, ten, sleep. Sleep enveloped me I glanced at the driver one last time and let go falling into its waters. 

When I awoke we were still on the highway, other cars whipped past on the road. It was night time. Darkness had blanketed the sky, but lights dotted the skyline illuminating the heavens. We made it back to New York. 

We came to the apartment complex mom had been in last time I had seen her. I was still unsure about how much time had passed since we were Tartarus, she may not be here. I started to pay the driver all I had, only a few dollars but I never got the chance, he drove off before I could do anything.

So I turned to Annabeth instead, shrugging. I guided her through the halls of the sleeping buildings. Walking up the stairs to the 5th floor. My legs were shaking by the time we reached my door. I knocked weakly and steadied myself on the door frame grasping Annabeth's hand. The door opened to reveal my mother, in her arms was a small bundle. A baby wrapped in pink blankets. Tears threatened to fall from my eyes. My mother stared for a long time, glancing between Annabeth and I. Then she let out a terrified shriek. Tears streamed down her face. 

Her free arm flew around my neck causing me to cry out in pain. Paul came running. He froze when he saw me and Annabeth. His mouth hung open. Then he advanced. 

"Please!" I yelled just as his arms flung open for me. He hesitated, put his arms down, and hugged mom instead. "I'm sorry...it's just." I trailed off.

"Where have you been?" Mom asked handing the now sleeping baby off to Paul. A sob was caught in my throat.

"T-tartarous." I stammered. Annabeth started crying as the memories flooded back. I held onto her as my Mom guided us inside. 

"You two look exhausted. We can talk more in the morning. Get some sleep okay?" She asked us with a knowing kindness in her voice. She didn't say a thing as Annabeth and I hobbled to my room together and laid down on the bed. The door was left wide open, our covers were to our chins. Annabeth's crutches lay beside the bed forgotten. Despite having just slept for the past few hours we were both exhausted. Annabeth's eyes fluttered shut just as I placed a kiss on her forehead. For the first time in years, I slept deeply, with no dreams.