Chapter 21: Unlikely Friends

ELLA

I watched Hale from across the room, observing the way he looked into the crowd from the balcony, a pained expression on his face. He'd been silent all day, from the moment he walked back into the room after fighting with his parents. I hadn't heard the entire argument and I didn't dare ask about it, but judging from Hale's mood, it couldn't have been good. I was still sitting on his bed when he'd finally returned to his room nearly an hour later, and he didn't even look at me. He barely mumbled a couple of words, and then I'd left to let him be alone. I didn't see him the rest of the day, and since the party had started he hadn't spoken to me. He was usually outgoing and social at events, but that night he'd been reserved and detached with the few people he spoke to—except one.

I looked to the other end of the room and caught sight of her red dress just before she disappeared around a corner. What did Hale want with her? I'd never seen them talk before. Everyone always made her out to be a bitch, and her association with Jax only further tainted her image. Perhaps Jax was the reason he was talking to Evie in the first place—although their conversation seemed too civilized for that subject. I'd caught glimpses of Hale's smile during their chat, and he'd seemed upset when she left. Whatever the matter, it stung seeing him speak to her after a day of his seemingly intentional avoidance of me.

I glanced back towards Hale and watched as he stared out across the crowd, standing alone on the edge of the room. His eyes were cool and distant, the opposite of what they were when I awoke next to him that same morning.

Charly caught my eyes wandering and cleared her throat. "You good, Els?"

I snapped my head back towards her. "Yeah, for sure," I said, taking a sip of champagne from the glass in my hand. My high-pitched tone betrayed me.

Charly's gaze flickered over to Hale on the balcony, and then back to me. "You want to know why they were talking?" It was more of a statement than a question, one that read my mind.

I nodded. "I've never seen them together before. The only thing I can think of is that he was talking to her about Jax, but he didn't seem angry. Besides, Hale seems to have gotten passed that now, somehow."

Charly let out a single, humorless chuckle. "He would be after what he did to Jax."

My eyes went wide and I shot her a look. "What the hell did he do to Jax?"

A sly smile crossed her lips. "He beat the shit out of him, and apparently threatened to make his life a living hell if he ever touched you again."

"How do you know that?" I gasped, but I was hardly surprised. Hale was always at my defense.

"Parker," Charly stated.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course."

Charly sipped at her drink. "Hale certainly goes to an awful lot of trouble for you," she commented, watching me from the corner of her eye.

I nodded and avoided her stare as I attempted to maintain a poker face. "Well we've been through a lot together."

"Yeah, you have," she agreed. "You guys practically never leave each other's sides. Which is why it's so surprising that he's been talking to Evie tonight instead of you."

I looked back over at her, attempting to search her face for answers. She'd known him since they were both in diapers, so if anybody knew what was up, it'd be Charly.

She saw the questions in my eyes and sighed. "I haven't seen them talk in years, but they used to be friends. Actually they dated briefly, in high school."