Chapter 5: Introductions

ELLA

When I woke up again, gray light was filtering in through the windows. I was still sleepy, but the instant I was conscious my mind began racing, thinking of all the things my day could possibly hold. I had absolutely no idea what lay ahead of me; hell, I didn't even know where I was exactly.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sat up slowly, my head still a bit sore from the massive headache I'd had. I glanced around; it was dim due to a layer of clouds blanketing the sky outside, but I could still see more than I was able to the night before.

The room I was in was stunning, and made for a girl by the looks of the color scheme. All of the furniture was white wood, and the walls were painted a light gray, accented by beautiful crown moldings. The floors were hardwood, stained black, and adorned with plush white rugs. Splashes of blush pink were scattered throughout the room in various forms: a vase of hydrangeas on the dresser, a pillow on the couch, a few books on the shelves.

I was sitting in a heap of white pillows and overstuffed bedding on a colossal four-poster canopy bed in the center of the room. I pushed aside the comforter and swung my legs over the side of the mattress, where my feet dangled due to the bed being so high off the ground. I slid off and padded over to the right of the room, where a small furniture grouping sat, backed by a couple of tall windows that overlooked a brightly colored flower garden and some large maples in the yard. Another pair of windows flanked the bed, and I could see the opposite side of the house and the adjacent balcony through the panes.

I made my way over to the other side of the room. The left wall was dominated by two floor-to-ceiling bookcases, stocked with everything from Shakespeare to John Green. A desk was sandwiched in between the shelves, and a pin-board hung over it with a few decorative fashion sketches tacked on.

An archway diagonally cut off the corner to the right of the bookcases, which led into a small entryway. I wandered through it into the adjoining bathroom— which was almost the same size as the bedroom— leaned against the wall, and sighed at the sight. Everything was finished in white marble. A giant vanity adorned the right wall, and a massive bathtub and shower were on the other. A dazzling crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, bouncing light from the window onto the walls in little slivers.

"Ella?"

The voice made me jump, and I let out a little yelp, surprised. I whirled around to find Hale standing in the doorway. My cheeks flushed pink. He was trying to hide a tiny smile that played at the corners of his lips, but his eyes twinkled in slight amusement. They were blue in the daytime— not gray as I had thought the previous night.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" he told me.

I waved my hand in dismissal. "It's fine," I said, walking towards him.

He gave me an odd look. "Do you remember who I am?"

"Yes." I smiled. "Hale," I added, to prove my point.

"Alright, then." He let out a little chuckle. "Therefore you are admitting you remember our conversation last night and there won't be any do-overs." He winked at me.

"Hey! No fair! I may remember it, but I was all drugged up." I pretended to be mad, but I couldn't help the smile that crept across my face.

Hale grinned back. "Eh, I guess I can give you the benefit of the doubt." He rolled his eyes playfully and crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned against the doorway. "And since I'm in such a kind mood, I'll give you the opportunity to make two first impressions that you couldn't possibly screw up!"

My smile fell. I knew what he was going to say.

A mischievous glint appeared in his eye. "Ella, I think it's time you met my parents."