Chapter 11: Against the Rules

ELLA

Hale's eyes widened as he lost his balance on the dock and plunged into the water. I chuckled as a giant splash soaked me, and Hale surfaced with a disoriented look on his face. I nearly doubled over with laughter, along with everyone else standing on the dock. Hale's eyes locked on mine, a sly glint within them, and he began to swim towards me.

He grinned. "You're going to pay for that, Ella!"

"No!" I giggled and tried to swim away, but he was right behind me. Just when he was about to grab me, I turned around and swatted a splash of water in his face.

Hale paused and blinked the water out of his eyes. "Oh, so that's how you want to play?" He smiled and charged at me again.

I let out a yelp mixed with laughter, and threw another splash his way. He did the same, but I ducked under the water before it hit me. The water was dark, but the moonlight made it possible to see the outline of Hale's legs. I swam around him, and surfaced on the other side. I grinned, thinking I'd been clever, but then Hale's arms wrapped around my waist from behind.

"I win!" he shouted. Then he bent down and whispered in my ear, "Looks like I just keep winning tonight..."

I shivered. The water on my skin amplified the feel of his breath on my neck.

Hale let go and began swimming back to the dock, and I followed. He pulled himself up onto the platform, then turned back and helped me out.

I chuckled as I looked him up and down. He was still fully dressed, shoes and all, and he was absolutely drenched.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "What? You think this is funny?" He gestured to his soaked clothes that clung to his body.

The corner of my mouth tilted upwards. Not only was it funny, it was extremely hot.

"Well I hate to break it to you, sweetheart, but this is all your fault, and I think I deserve a little payback." He smirked mischievously and began to walk towards me.

I held my hands up in defense and took a step back. "Hale—"

He cut me off as he wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up onto his shoulder.

"Hale!" I squeaked, clawing at his back.

He chuckled and began to spin me around. "Ready for another swim?" he called.

"Don't you dare!" I screeched.

"One, two," he began counting, preparing to launch me into the water. "Three!"

He tossed me up. I screamed and braced myself, but I didn't go soaring through the air and into the water like I'd expected. Instead, Hale had simply thrown me off his shoulder and gently set me back down on the dock.

I opened my eyes and glared at him.

He grinned back at me and winked. "I was just kidding."

I smacked his chest. "That was mean."

Hale shrugged. "So was pulling me into the lake."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, we're even."

"Truce?" He extended his hand to me.

I nodded as I placed my palm in his, and we followed everyone back to the beach.

***

"Careful," Hale said as he helped me off the jet ski. It bobbed as I stepped off, and I nearly fell into the water. Hale grabbed my shoulders to stabilize me as I struggled to regain my balance. My cheeks tinged pink from embarrassment. He chuckled, making it worse.