Chapter 14: Interviewing the Invisibles

ELLA

"Ella, wake up," Hale's voice whispered next to my ear. His hand gently ran down my arm, the electric feeling it left in its wake bringing me from sleep. I groaned and snuggled deeper into my pillow, ignoring him.

"Ella," he called again in a singsong voice.

I opened one eye slightly, only to see that it was still dark outside. "Hale," I whined. "It's not even morning!"

"The clock says a.m., so yes, it is morning. And it's time to get up—we've got to go somewhere." I could practically hear him smiling.

"No way, you're crazy!" I hugged my pillow to my head and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Alright, then." Hale's hand left my shoulder, and for a minute I thought he was going to leave; but then I felt his warm lips press to my neck. My eyes shot open, and tingles erupted across my skin from the spot where he began to leave a path of soft kisses. I turned over in my bed to face where he stood over me. His lips never left my skin, trailing from my neck across my collarbone, then up to my jaw, and finally landing on my lips.

He pulled back, a sly grin sliding across his face.

"Mmm, I'm definitely awake now," I said dreamily.

Hale chuckled. "Well, good." He hovered over me for a few moments, a hand placed on either side of my pillow. "Pack a bag. I'll see you downstairs in 15 minutes!" He pecked my lips one final time, pushed himself up, and was halfway across the room before I could even comprehend what he said.

"What?!" I yelled after him, shooting up out of bed. "Where on earth are we going?"

He paused at the door, turning to look at me with a smug smile on his face. "New York."

- - -

The sun was just beginning to rise as we descended into the city. I watched as the slightly overcast sky turned into a medley of oranges and pinks and violets, and the ocean mirrored the aerial masterpiece.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Hale said quietly, squeezing my hand, which was interlaced with his. His voice was deep, and his mouth close to my ear, and it raised goosebumps on my skin.

"Yes," I replied, tearing my eyes away from the never-ending skyline for a moment to look at him. The reflections of the sunrise danced across his eyes, nearly exceeding the beauty of the view out the window.

Hale looked at me as if he saw the same wonders in my eyes, making my breath hitch. Slowly, he brought a hand to my face and brushed a strand of my hair out of my eyes, then rested his fingers at the base of my neck. He searched my face, a smile spreading across his lips. A furious blush rose to my cheeks.

Just then, the flight attendant opened the curtain to the cabin, and I nearly jumped out of my seat. I did, however, manage to hit my head on the wall as I leapt away from Hale. He pressed his lips together and tried to refrain from laughing, but failed miserably.

"Are you okay?" he chuckled, bringing a hand to my head.

I flinched at his touch, seeing the stewardess walking towards us out of the corner of my eye. I was extremely paranoid about getting caught with Hale.

He followed my gaze, his smile falling slightly. "It's okay," he whispered to me quickly before turning to the attendant.

"Do you need anything else before we land, Mr. Claremont?" she asked, smiling sweetly.

"No, thank you," Hale said, then faced me again as she left.

I gave him a look of disbelief. "Hale, how is it okay if someone sees us?!" I whisper-yelled. "I thought we were—"