Losing Your Patience

His patience was wearing thin. After Simon had returned, he didn't even pay him a tad bit of his attention, instead the smaller boy showed his ecstasy about exploring with both of the Chiefs. Of course, Roger would have enjoyed the delight in Simon's eyes... under other circumstances, however this was serious. He needed to talk to the other boy... before it was too late. Yet, once again his plans had to be delayed by the decision to start a fire and his friend, probably happy to be included, in contrast to his time at school, immediately rushed after Jack. In this moment Simon didn't seem familiar to him. What had happened to the introverted, shy friend he had? Still, he took off after them, hurrying up to the front, where he could see the mop of dark hair again.

Once they arrived at their destination, the smaller boy beckoned for him. His usual shy smile, which made Roger feel as though it was only reserved for him on his lips once again. Gladly, the taller boy stepped next to him. "Can you help me with this log? I guess we'd be stronger together...", Simon trailed off, as a blush became prominent on his cheeks.

In all honesty, Roger thought he looked adorable. He was also aware that he could have lifted the rather small log himself, yet the anticipation of both of them working together brought far more joy to him.

"Sure, Si.", he smirked, only to observe the blush of the smaller boy deepen. After they managed to heave the branches up to the pile, he wanted to address his reflections. Though he wasn't able to, since the twins, having found a suitable big log, shouted for help. Immediately, Simon tugged on his sleeve to follow him down, where they were needed. Always eager to help. Despite his groan, as the both of them couldn't do it on their own, he inwardly smiled at the green-eyed's enthusiasm for helping others and supported his smaller friend, when he struggled to carry his part of the log, almost tripping over some roots.

"Be careful, Si.", he whispered teasingly in an almost husky voice, "I could almost assume you'd enjoy lying in my arms. You know, you could always just ask for it instead"

Although he couldn't see the face of the smaller boy, he knew him good enough to be aware of the redish colour his cheeks must have taken once again. His impatience grew more and more. Roger just couldn't wait, till they were finally alone again. After their pile was profusely finished, there was an awkward silence. Then there was a silent banter going on between the ginger and the fair boy. Once again Roger refrained from rolling his eyes, before he decided to help them by explaining how to make a fire in the wilderness. Just spinning a stick like an arrow couldn't be that hard, could it? Yet, Merridew decided to use Piggy's glasses. Probably afraid to humiliate himself, if he tried the other method. Well, actually their new Chief did the task, but Roger couldn't bring himself to care enough. He just wanted this to be over, so he had his chance to talk to his friend.

Naturally, their fire was "no good", as Ralph eloquently formulated it. As if they couldn't have anticipated it before, that there wouldn't be any smoke. Wasn't that what the Chief should do? Fed up with his companions the dark-haired boy spat into the remains of the fire. The only plan was to light a fire and that's what they did. Would the Chief seriously steal more of his time with his inconsistency? Simultaneous to the anger Roger felt, the anger the other boys had, was openly displayed, when the ginger and the plump boy begang to fight. Maybe, Merridew would finally put the weak, lazy boy in his place, Roger anticipated.

Yet, his delight declined, as he watched Simon defend the plump boy. His virtue would be his downfall one day.

Observing the ginger advancing towards the plump boy and now also Simon was, a physical fight clearly on his mind, Roger visibly tensed and made eye contact with the violent icy-blue eyes. The silent threat was obvious: Hurt Simon and you'll never get up again.

The dark-haired boy wasn't fond of his actions. He knew he had to do some damage repair afterwards -the words about Merridew: "do not under any circumstance make him angry" still in his mind - , yet the integrity of his precious, vulnerable friend was his priority.Though the ginger refrained from getting too close to Simon, who was under the obvious protection of the dark-haired boy, the boys continued to argue verbally.Of course.

Meanwhile there was still no ship in sight, as Roger looked for any proof that their effort would be worth it. Perhaps, he should also put the fair boy down a notch, he clearly seemed to overestimate his leadership skills or at least the smaller children did. After he voiced his observation and added that their chances of a rescue were indeed very slim, this idea seemed to occur to the smaller children for the first time. Naturally, Ralph tried to mask the obvious by providing a false sense of security. Then the annoying plumb boy once again began to complain about everything. After Roger grimaced slightly at the talking boy, he gladly seized his chance to sneak away with Simon.

Therefore, he quickly crept up to the smaller boy and pulled him into the bushes with him, while covering his mouth. A mixture between surprise and shock appeared on Simon's face, before he turned around and recognized his friend. Now, the taller one beckoned the other boy to follow him to a special place, a clearing he passed when he carried Simon to the hunters. Impressed that Roger actually knew how to navigate through the jungle to this particular clearing, the first question the smaller boy asked wasn't about the reason for their trip their, but how the dark-haired boy managed to remember the way.

Roger chuckled: "Of course, you'd ask that first. See, those flowers there? I only saw them on this path there on the whole island. They look kind of like these flowers you said were your favourite ones, don't they?" After Roger admitted that part of the reason for his navigating skills were only some flowers his friend adored, he scratched his neck sheepishly. "Oh no. They're different. I haven't seen these flowers before. They must be exotic, but they are really beautiful. These petals seem so delicate and the colour is uncomparable to any other flowers. Perhaps they're my new favourite flowers.", the smaller boy laughed delightfully after pondering the similiarities. This didn't go unnoticed by the taller boy, who observed the joy on Simon's face closely.

However, realising he had watched his friend enjoying the nature around him, for too long, he tore his gaze away and asked curiously: "Aren't you going to ask why I dragged you here?" Simon, meanwhile sitting next to some of the beautiful flowers for a closer look, just shrugged and smiled playfully at the other boy: "I guess you just lost your patience now."