Ten

Day 15.  This time, it’s really Monday.  I consulted the calendar and everything.  And I’m going to confront Breton about that phone call.  And help him keep his grades up.  I might also be carrying around a pillow, a mini umbrella, and earplugs in my bag, just in case of emergencies.  I could be protecting him from anything, anything at all.  Oh, here comes Dallas.  Got to go George, TTYL.

“Hey Georgie, still writing in that thing?” Dallas asked.

“It’s name is George, and I have to if I want to keep track of Operation 45D.  Also my aunt gave it to me, and I’m grounded if I don’t fill it up by the time she comes to visit again,” I explained.  Dallas made an understanding noise.

“My great-aunt knits these ugly sweaters, and every time she visits I have to wear one of them every day until she leaves again,” he sympathized.  I cringed.  No one likes ugly sweaters.  Even at an ugly sweater party, they stink.  “So what’s up?”

“Not much.  Are you going  back to The Stairs?  I kind of forgot the way, but I need to talk to Breton.  My mom wants to invite his family over for dinner again.”

“Yeah sure.  You’re lucky you have a mom who can cook.  My mom burns everything.  Fortunately, my dad is a decent chef, mostly out of necessity,” Dallas laughed.  I laughed too, at the thought of my mom being a good cook.

“All my mom can cook is pasta.  But it is delicious. Hey, you should come over for supper!”  Dallas gave me a confused look.  “My mom is dying to meet you.  She’s so proud her little Georgie finally found a friend,” I said dramatically, clutching my hands together and gazing off in the distance.

“I’ll be there,” he smiled.  “Now, is it this turn, or the next one.”

“I was following you!  I’m rubbish at directions!” I said in distress.  Other than lunch, I only saw Breton before school.  There wouldn’t be any other chance to invite his family over!  I would be grounded forever for not following my mother’s simplest instructions!

“Hey guys!” someone said, slinging their arm over my shoulder.

“Please don’t kill me!” I shrieked.  

“Can’t make any promises.”  It was Breton.  Of course it was.

“Your family is invited back to my house for dinner again.  This time you actually get to taste my mom’s spaghetti.  Hopefully.  And Dallas will be there too!  So hopefully it won’t be as awkward as last time.”  I stopped talking to look off into the distance and shudder.  My mom didn’t really drop the subject of Breton and I getting married someday, but she talked about it less, which was an improvement.  “That is if you come.  You don’t have to.  It’s just an invitation.  But not like a birthday invitation, my birthday isn’t until July.  So you missed it.  I mean, not missed it, but you weren’t invited.  But you are invited to supper tonight.  With your family.  And Dallas.  Um... what?”  I trailed off as the boys started laughing.

“Was it something I said?”

After school my mom frantically informed me that I had two hours before I needed to be down for dinner.  I saluted and scurried up the stairs to my room.  Jay had stopped my in the hallway and we traded off, he gave me his homework and a chocolate bar, I gave him a fist bump.  Poor boy thought he got the better end of the deal.

I took a moment to appreciate the fact that Jay had bribed me this time, not bullied me.  Ever since Peter apologized, things were looking up.  Peter and Donna had both left me alone, in fact I almost counted them as friends.  Jay was a friend whom I did homework for, and I hadn’t even seen Jeanette and Joey in the past week or so.  Really, all that was left was Harry.  He glared at me in the cafeteria, but otherwise left me alone.  So far.  I smiled a little bit and turned on my television, starting up Netflix.  I had finished Jay’s paper in only minutes, it was an easy bit of homework.