Twenty-Seven

Dear George,

I am now sad.  You only have fourteen more pages.  I’m beginning to regret all those pages I wasted trying to draw a rainbow elephant.

Also the ones I wasted on trying to decide colleges, because I could have put those to better use.  Namely, unicorns.

On the bright side, you’ll live to see the end of Operation 45D.  Today’s Day 31, if you’re not keeping track.  You’re probably not.  That doesn’t really matter.  Especially considering you’re a journal.  A special journal, but you know.  It’s hard to keep track of days when you’re a journal.

So, here’s the thing George.  I’ve come to terms with all my bullies.  Except for Peter.  Which sounds funny, because I know we’re friends, Peter and I.  But, it’s complicated.  He had a crush on me, I know that.  What I feel though, is that he still likes me as more than a friend, which makes things complicated.  Mostly because I don’t like him like that.  I don’t like anyone like that, except maybe Breton, who’s growing on me.  All this relationship business is so complicated.

I see Dallas, and boy do the two of us need to have a talk.  I’ll fill you in later.

Georgie, out.

“Oh, Dallas!” I sang, skipping towards the man of the hour.  “How’ve you been, buddy?”

“Uh-uh, Georgie, no way!” Dallas said with wide eyes, trying to escape me.  I chuckled evilly.  There is no escaping me.

“Not so fast, friend.  We need to have a chat,” I stated firmly, pulling him in the direction I wanted to go.  “Now why don’t you tell Georgie all about your problems.  I’ve noticed you’ve been acting funny lately, and I just can’t think of what might be the problem.  Your parents are cool with you, Lucas has been just buzzing with energy lately, which is slightly terrifying to be honest, but you… well pal, you’ve been looking a little down.  Especially around a certain Joel.  Who’s name starts with Pete and ends with ‘r’.”  

Dallas seemed alarmed.  “What- How do you even notice this stuff?”

I leaned close to him.  “I notice everything,” I confided, then pulled back.  “Moving on!  Tell Mama Georgie your secrets.”

“I d-don’t have secrets,” Dallas said, wincing at his stutter.

“Oh,” I said lightly.  “My bad.  I thought maybe this had something to do with Mr. Joel.  He’s one scary dude, you know?  But I’m glad you’re not mixed up with him.  Peter told me his job is il-leg-al.”  I emphasized illegal so Dallas would get the message.  “And I just figured maybe he was blackmailing you, or something like that.  I guess I was wrong though.”  I began to walk away, leaving Dallas standing there.

“No you weren’t,” he mumbled to himself with a sigh.  But I heard, oh I heard.  And I knew just what to do with this information.

“Peter,” I whined through the phone, “your dad’s blackmailing Dallas!”

There was no reply.

“And no one knows where you are because you disappeared of the face of the earth, and then came back yesterday to bring me a fudge-pop after I hit my head, and then disappeared again!  Not to mention, I’ve been working on the list with Breton by myself!  Myself, Peter!  Do you understand how serious this is?!”

Still nothing.

“Ugh!  Whatever, call me back when you get this,” I finally said, ending the voicemail.