Chapter 6

Rachel dropped her bag by the door and looked around the luxurious penthouse suite

Rachel dropped her bag by the door and looked around the luxurious penthouse suite.  She kicked off her wet shoes and walked further into the room. Sighing in pleasure as her feet hit the soft plush carpet. She walked until she found the bathroom and stripped down and stood under the shower. She watched as the water watched away the dirt from her body and her hair.

As if everything was just sinking in she burst into tears hugging her belly as she sank to the shower floor. She hasn't cried since it all happened because she refused to think about it. She pulled herself together and stood up and turned the shower off and stepped out onto the mat and reached for a towel to dry herself. She found a comfortable hotel robe on the back of the bathroom door deciding it was best to wash her dirty clothes in the sink.

She rushed out when she heard a knock on the door. She looked through the peephole and saw a hotel staff member standing outside with a room service chart. Confused she opened the door and looked at him.

"Your dinner ma'am" he said pushing the chart into the room.

"I didn't order anything" she replied

"It was ordered by Mr. Giordano he informed us to provide you with anything you might need" the man replied

"Oh, of course. Thank you" she replied

After he left she started removing the covers from the trays and her mouth watered as the smell of the food started circulating through the air.

She lifted a plate of spaghetti and meatballs and reached for a fork and started shoveling down as fast as she could chew.

Just as she picked up a glass of water to take a sip she heard a light knock on the door. She didn't check who it was this time she only pulled the door open.

"Hi you must be Rachel. I'm Amber" the woman introduced herself then walked right in.

"Hi" Rachel replied pulling the robe more securely around her.

She looked at the loads of shopping bag that Amber dropped on the couch wondering what was going on.

"Mr. Giordano sent me. These are all for you dear" she said

"For me!?" Rachel squeaked in surprise.

"Yes he called me and instructed me to bring them over to you" just then her phone beeped and after checking it she said goodbye to Rachel and left.

Rachel walked over and started looking into the bags and was pleasantly surprised to find the most lovely maternity clothes, another bag was filled with underwear, one with three pairs of comfy shoes and the last bag had a cellphone still in the box. She reached in to pick up the box and opened the lid to take out the cellphone. She turned it over in her hand looking at it when suddenly it started ringing. Startled she jumped and dropped it and had to hurry and pick it up.

"Hello?" She answered

"Hi Rachel" came the smooth voice of Jason Giordano.

"Oh, hello" she replied

"I'm just calling to check on you." He said

"You bought me a cellphone?" She replied

"Yes I did. They do sometimes come in very handy" he said

"And clothes. You also bought me clothes" she said nervously

"Right again" he replied

"But why?" She asked

"Well you see Rachel most persons tend to like wearing clothes. Its the appropriate thing to do" he replied

"Well I know that. I just don't understand why you would do all this for me. I'm a stranger to you" she said

"You needed some things so I bought them. Just say thank you Rachel" he replied

"Thank you" she quickly replied

"So when is your baby due?" He asked

"Any day now" she replied

"Hmmn" came his response.

"Do you have any children Mr. Giordano?" She asked him

"No. Not yet" he replied

"Be sure its what you want before starting the process ok?" She replied

He was silent for a long minute and she thought maybe she had offended him. She was wrong, she only spiked his interest.

"Did the father of your baby walk out on you Rachel?" He asked

"Yes" was her simple response

"Would you like to tell me exactly what happened?" He asked

"Not exactly, no" she replied hesitantly

"OK. Well you have my number if you ever need anything or ever want to talk" he said

"Thank you. And thank you for everything. This all means so much to me. I don't know anyone else who would do something like this." She replied

"It was the right thing to do" he said

"Still, not many people would do the right thing. So again. Thank you" she replied

"You're welcome" he said

"Goodnight Mr. Giordano"

"Jason. My name is Jason"

"Jason, good night Jason"

"Goodnight Rachel"

She felt the baby kick just as she hung up. She smiled and placed her hand over her belly and hummed a soft lullaby.

She picked up the plate with the now cold food and brought it to the kitchen and popped it into the microwave. After she ate she collected all the shopping bags and brought them through to the bedroom and set them on the floor beside the bed.

Too tired to do anything else and with the bed looking so inviting she pulled back the covers and slid under the soft comfortable sheet.

First thing first tomorrow, find a free health clinic. Dress in clean clothes and start job hunting here in the city.

With those thoughts in mind she slipped off into fitful sleep, filled with nightmares.