Chapter 1

TAYLOR'S POV

"I still haven't told Caroline." I said into my cell phone. I heard the other end sigh.

"Tay, you've had two weeks." The voice on the other end said playfully, the smile in the voice audible.

"It's not that easy, you know that." I said, adjusting my phone in my ear as I did housework.

"I know. But maybe you should try to do it before tonight." The voice said.

"I will it's just nerve-wracking." I said.

"Okay well I've got to go or I'll miss my flight. See you tonight?" The voice said.

"I'll see you tonight." I confirmed, smiling to myself, but still overwhelmed. We said our goodbyes and I hung up the phone.

Today was Caroline's first day of her senior year of high school. She would be home any minute because she only has a 4 hour school day this year. As seniors, they get off periods, so she would be home a lot more than in previous years.

We've spent a lot of time together this summer, which should make it easier to tell her my news, but I haven't been able to do it. I've had two weeks and many opportunities, but I don't want to run the risk of messing anything up between the two of us.

Now I've waited so long that I just have today left to tell her. Her last first day of school. And my news could either make or break this day for her.

My heart pounded in my chest as I heard the doorknob to the apartment turn and saw her walk in with a big smile on her face.

"This really is the life. It's 1 pm and I'm done with school for the day." Caroline said, dropping her book bag by the door. I forced myself to smile back at her and ask her about her day.

She had lots to say. She mouth was running at 100 miles a minute and between trying to keep up and trying to calm my nerves I didn't catch most of it.

It sounded like she really enjoyed her day. Her and her friends went out for breakfast this morning since none of them had a first period class, then they went to school at around nine. Her pure joy was infectious, but the butterflies in my stomach still lingered.

CAROLINE'S POV

Taylor and I sat at the counter eating cereal at 2pm a while after I got home from school. We'd just been talking for a long time. I told her about my day and she asked me all kinds of questions.

I was surprised to see her holding it together. This morning she cried when I drove off to school. Something about her baby being a senior in high school. I didn't really get it, she's only known me for four years, but I still thought it was sweet and I loved her for it.

The two of us continued talking for what seemed like forever. We talked about anything and everything. I felt so safe there with her, a safety that I hadn't felt since my dad left.

"I think you should just stay away from boys until college." Taylor laughed after I told her how happy I was that I never had to see Asher.

"Agreed." I said, scooping the last of my cereal into my mouth with a spoon.

Just as I started to get up to put my bowl in the dishwasher Taylor grabbed my arm, not letting me get up quite yet.

"I- I uh, have to tell you something." Taylor said with a stutter. I felt my chest get tight, knowing the face she was making. It was the same face my dad made when he was trying to tell me that my mom was dying.