Chapter 9

I collapsed face-up on my bed and released a heavy sigh. My parents were waiting at the dining table for me and demanding that I tell them what exactly happened in school. After I told them the story, they shook their heads at Ms Rose's behaviour and my dad smiled proudly at me for standing up for what I felt was right. Of course I left out the part about my test being scorched and Melanie's pencil's apparent hatred for its owner. They would think that I'm crazy. My brother was nowhere to be seen, so I assumed that he was in his room listening to some music while doing homework. I was secretly glad for that, because then he wouldn't blab to Mom and Dad about how I cut up my test paper.

I sat up, propped up my white pillow and leaned against it. After that exhausting day, I retreated as soon as possible to the comfort of my room. I glanced at my familiar surroundings. My bed was pushed against the far wall with the window, leaving just enough space for me to climb onto the window sill and curl up with a good book or play on my laptop. I loved that place; it had a great view over the neighbourhood. I could look across the normally quiet street at the other houses and the trees beyond. Bookshelf stood at the opposite side of my room, where I keep my favourite books, movies and video games of all time. Beside that bookshelf I had a small, wooden desk, currently littered with papers and pencils which I couldn't be bothered to pack away the night before. Above my headboard hung a poster from a convention I went to last year with Lena. It was stuck to the wall a bit crookedly. I smiled at the memory. The convention was great, but I got back home really late. Despite that, I still insisted on immediately hanging up that poster. I probably should have thought that through, but then again, I hardly think things through.

I leaned over to the right and reached out my hand to take my phone from my nightstand and dialled Lena's number. I held the phone to my ear and waited. After two rings, she picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Len."

"Your detention is over?"

"Yup. I didn't get a chance to tell you what happened at the meeting with the Principal. Do you want to come over to my place?"

"I'm not sure..." Lena said teasingly. I rolled my eyes at her sarcastic tone, but had to smile inwardly. I knew that Lena would come over no matter what.

"Come on! Please, Len. Do it for me?"

"Fine... But you owe me big time!"

"My mom is cooking lasagne for dinner."

"Sold. I'm on my way," Lena said and ended the call.

I tossed my phone onto the bed and lied back down. After a couple of minutes I heard the doorbell ringing. I got up and hurried downstairs and threw the door open. Lena was just locking her bicycle to the fence around the house. She walked over and we hugged. Then I stepped aside to give her space to walk into the house.

***

It was still some time until Mom would have finished preparing the promised lasagne, much to Lena's dismay. I had to laugh at her reaction. She really loved my mom's cooking. Admittedly I can totally understand her; I also haven't eaten any better food, be it someone else's cooking or from a restaurant. I decided to make up for the wait. While Lena plopped down onto the couch in the living room, I quickly strode to the kitchen and got two bowls and scooped chocolate ice-cream into it. I added two spoons and picked up the treats.

"Hey, Len." I held out a bowl to Lena. She grinned and accepted it.

"Comfort food?"

"Yup, comfort food," I agreed. I desperately needed comfort food. After all that happened today, I just needed something to cool off my mind. Besides, I loved anything sweet. Something like chocolate could surely cheer me up. My family noticed already when I was young, that I had a very sweet tooth and was able to eat more of it than other kids my age. I discovered my love for all things chocolate at an early age. And I still love it until now.