Chapter 17

I didn't wait another second to listen to the end of their conversation. Running, running through the forest, I tried to get as far ahead of the soldiers as possible. I only had one thought in my mind. I need to warn them, I need to warn them. As soon as I was further away from our pursuers, I gave up all attempts at stealth and used my new agility to crash through the bushes and swerve around tree trunks at the last second.

At one turn, I wasn't fast enough. My eyes widened, as I tripped over something on the ground. I readied myself for a painful fall, but I instead landed on something soft. Exhausted, I stayed still for a couple of seconds to catch my breath. Until the soft ground underneath me moved and threw me off with a ear-piercing shriek. "Melanie?"

"Ruby? Oh, my god! Don't jump on me like that! I was going to attack you, if I hadn't realized that you weren't a real wolf!" Nathiel was already up with a sword in his hand, scanning for further danger before his gaze locked with mine.

Jumping back onto my feet, I conveyed to them both, "We don't have time. We need to hurry, pack up and get away from here as fast as possible!" After I finished that message, I felt more exhausted. Does it use up more magic to speak telepathically with two people instead of one? "Come on, Melanie, don't fall back asleep." I started tearing at Melanie's blanket with my teeth and ripped it off her.

"Fine, fine, I'll get up. What are we running away from anyways?"

Turning back into a human, I started throwing my stuff into a small pack. "Corius' soldiers. They are following us on horseback and gaining fast. We need to hurry!" Nathiel cursed colourfully and Melanie visibly paled. "Melanie, turn into a horse."

"What?"

"Just do it!" I had finished packing my thongs and zipped the bag shut.

Nathiel's eyes lit up with understanding. "That's actually a great idea. Melanie, this is the only way for us to outrun them. You need to let us ride on your back."

I heard a groan from her, then she turned back into the mare. "I don't know if Nathiel can ride, but I know for sure that you can't ride a horse. Just hold on tight and don't let go. You will get the hang of it soon enough."

Melanie's silent question was immediately answered, as Nathiel elegantly swung himself onto Melanie's back without any help. I was still standing on the ground Nathiel held out a hand towards me and instead of giving him my hand, I handed Nathiel my pack. Raising a questioning eyebrow, he attached it to his bag and held out his hand again. I just shook my head. Melanie whinnied impatiently and Nathiel was starting to become frustrated. "We don't have time for games, Ruby. I know that you can climb on yourself, so you don't need to prove to us that you are strong enough."

"I'm not coming," I simply stated.

"Exactly! Just climb on and...What did you just say?"

"I said that I'm not coming." Melanie was stamping in irritation, but I put a consoling hand against her elegant neck. "We can't keep running forever. Those soldiers have a horse for themselves and Melanie won't be able to run as fast with two people sitting on her. If I can somehow hold up the soldiers, we will have a far enough head-start."

"I'm not letting you go by yourself." Nathiel made to swing himself off Melanie's back, but I held up my hand.

"And I can't endanger any more people than necessary." I wryly grinned. "Melanie and I might be new to Kryshar, but I am sure that I will be able to defend myself, especially after all the training I went through at camp. It better pay off now. Anyways," I continued when Nathiel opened his mouth to intervene, "weren't you the one to repeatedly warn Melanie and me that we shouldn't use too much magic, otherwise it will deplete our strength and could potentially alert the King and his soldiers? If you come with me and also use your magic, they will definitely notice us."