Chapter 10

I woke up again when I heard the front door close loudly downstairs. I groggily opened my eyes and glanced at my alarm clock. It was only 11 o'clock? I groaned and buried my head in my pillow and tried to fall back asleep. My eyes snapped back open when I heard high-heels take a couple of steps and then stop. Then my dad's heavy steps. Stop. Indistinct voices drifted through my closed bedroom door. I lifted my head. Who in their right mind would come to pay a visit at 11? Were my parents expecting someone? I lifted my head and sat up. When I heard my mom laugh merrily and another woman's indistinct voice, I became curious. Pushing aside my warm covers, I stood up and walked towards my door and leaned my ear against it. I frowned. The woman's voice sounded familiar. I felt like I have heard it before, but I couldn't remember to whom that voice belonged to.

Quietly turning my door knob, I eased it open and creeped down the stairs, pausing every couple of seconds to make sure the wooden floorboards wouldn't creak and give me away. Thankfully, none of them had a grudge against me. When I arrived at the bottom of the stairs, I pressed myself against the wall and sucked in a huge breath and held it, as if my parents and the mystery person could hear my light breathing. I have clearly been watching too many spy movies.

I peeked around the corner. My mom was sitting on the couch with her back turned to me. Next to her was a slightly shorter blond woman with long, absolutely straight hair. She was currently talking to my dad, who was sitting on the worn armchair. It was his favourite place to sit. After the woman said something he nodded and sipped from his can of beer.

I pulled my head back and furrowed my eyebrows. Where had I seen that strange woman before? When I saw her, I felt like I should know her. It almost felt like I was connected to her in some mysterious way.

Closing my eyes, I tried to concentrate on what the three of them were talking about. It was bound to be something vaguely interesting in the least, if this woman had to come and visit my parents in the middle of the night. No wonder I never heard my parents go to bed before, if they were expecting someone to drop by.

My mom was laughing. "It's great to see you again after all this time, Kani."

Kani? I was tempted to bang my head against the wall, but I restrained myself because otherwise my position would be given away. I just wanted to knock some sense into my head. Maybe some forgotten memories as well for good measure. Damn my sleepy brain.

"Yes, it has been a while. I am happy that I met you at the supermarket today. There was a lot I wanted to talk to you about." I couldn't see the woman's reaction, but I could hear the smile in her voice. It sounded melodious, it had a different tone than Mom's voice. It didn't sound like anyone I have ever heard. Even the way she spoke was slightly different. There was a slight lilt in her voice. A different pronunciation of the words. Not unpleasant, but not usual either. "Have you told the children about the plan for the holidays yet?"

My ears perked up. How did this woman, Kani, know about my family's holiday plans? This was getting frustrating.

"Yes, we have." Mom sighed dramatically. "I'm hoping that Ruby and Dylan will have calmed down by tomorrow. They weren't all that...how should I put this...They had some objections to this sudden change in plan." Another sigh. "Especially my daughter. Such a shame, really. Even though they used to be very good friends. I think Dylan has come to his senses though."

I snorted in irritation. Talking about me like that, how unfair! I had a very valid reason to act like that. After all, Melanie would be coming with us. Feeling indignant, I turned my head again to take another peak at the scene in the living room. Kani had her head angled so that she could face my mom. This gave me a clear and unobstructed view of her face. The shade of brown her irises had reminded me of someone. All in all, Kani seemed to have a rather delicate build. Her face was narrow and her chin and jaw line vaguely resembled the shape of a spade due to the pointy chin. The gentle smile from before still graced her lips in an elegant fashion. She currently had a hand resting supportively on my mom's arm. "I understand what you mean. I didn't really expect your children to warm up to the idea just yet. But it really is about time that Ruby and my daughter start spending more time together." She sighed and dropped her hand.

The Amulet of KrysharOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara