Chapter 15

We walked to the camp in silence. Melanie and I were flanked every step of the way. Wielders walked in front, beside and behind us. The young man from before, Nathiel, sneered at me from time to time. I snarled back at him, but he acted as if he didn't care. He just spun on his heel and hurried to catch up to the woman, who was leading this group through the woods. I was still in my wolf shape, because I still didn't trust any of these wielders. Especially that guy, Nathiel. He looked like he wanted to have killed Melanie and me himself, and if that were the case, I would have returned that favour before he had the chance to hurt us. Melanie also seemed on edge and I guess I could understand. We were surrounded by the wielders. The last of the people of Kryshar with magic in them, apparently. Without me knowing what I did, I was able to burn Melanie's arm on the day of the math test. I had a feeling, that the wielders were so much stronger and knew how to control their magic though. They could have probably annihilated Melanie and me before we could have blinked our eyes. It was kind of pathetic that I insisted on staying in my wolf shape, but it gave me a sense of comfort. Even though this was only the second time I shifted into a wolf, I felt like I could at least protect myself if necessary to a certain extent.

I swished my tail. The day of the math test seemed so long ago, a day from a different life. A life belonging to a different girl, but it was still something I wanted to return to. I wanted to return to my parents, to Dylan, to Lena, to my old life where magic was a fantasy and stayed a fantasy.

"How much further is this camp?" Melanie asked. "Hey!" she exclaimed a second later, when she was prodded with the butt of a spear from the wielder walking behind her. She got the message though and clamped her mouth shut.

Suddenly, the entire group took another turn. The wielders navigated seamlessly through the forest. I, on the other hand, already didn't know where we were by the third direction change. Melanie and I wouldn't have stood a chance at finding their camp by ourselves. Maybe it was good that the wielders were rather aggressive at first, because it caused them to find and take us with them. "Mel, what do you think about the wielders?" I projected my thought towards Melanie.

"Don't call me that," she mentally grumbled. "They're really aggressive though. They could have at least given us a chance to explain ourselves."

In my thoughts, I hummed in agreement. Suddenly, the guards in front of us stopped. Melanie tried to peek over the heads of the people in front of us. She jumped up and down a couple of times and then stopped, letting out an annoyed puff. I tilted my head at her questioningly. "I can't see anything!" Melanie complained.

I barked a laugh. "You're just too short, shortie."

"Hey, you're not much taller than I am."

"At least I am taller."

"We have arrived at our camp," the leader announced. I concentrated and morphed back into my original shape. Melanie and I were ushered to the front of the group. For a group of powerful magic users, the wielders lived a very modest life. Spread out before us, interspersed between trees with leaves so thick, that I couldn't see the sky above, were tents of all shapes and sizes. The few people, that didn't apparently didn't join our cosy little group, were soon standing before us, gaping and whispering to each other while pointing at Melanie and me.

The leader curtly greeted them and then waved to Melanie and me, signalling for us to follow her. She led us to one of the biggest tents, a yellow tent situated in a slight dip of the forest floor. The woman opened the flap and we entered it. Even though the woman only lived in a tent, it looked really comfortable. Cushions and blankets were strewn across the floor, which made for a soft place to sit and lie on. Cooking utensils, cutlery and small containers with preserved food in them were stored at the far end of the tent.