Final Deliberation

I gaze coolly around the room, my eyes meeting each person in turn and forcing them to look away. Cole stands awkwardly at my shoulder, unsure of exactly what I am going to say, worried he will have to step in. But I have no intention of causing a scene, despite the anger Rosa's words have instilled within me. No, the past year has taught me that it is better to use words rather than emotions in this kind of situation.

"I couldn't help but overhear your conversation just then." I begin, letting my wandering gaze settle onto Rosa. Her eyes are clouded with regret.

"Jasmine, we didn't mean-" She spouts, but I hold my hand up and her voice slowly peters out.

"It doesn't matter what you mean or don't mean. You just need to be clear that what Lauren said is perfectly right. I want to do this now."

"Now?" George interrupts.

"Well, not literally now I suppose. But the point is I don't want to wait any longer than I have to, and I certainly don't want you to be the ones postponing it! As Lauren said, you are supposed to be helping me aren't you?"

"Of course we are." Rosa says, "But-"

"Then do it." Cole's gruff voice suddenly growls from behind me, cutting off whatever Rosa's 'but' was going to be.

"They're right." George sighs, standing up and shuffling his papers. "I say we talk to the Judge and defence and try to schedule the trial for tomorrow. Jasmine is as ready as she'll ever be and so are we. So, everyone finish off the final preparations and Rosa, Lauren and I will contact the court to arrange a solid time."

A murmur of assent trips through the room and I breathe out deeply, not aware that I had been holding my breath in the first place. Cole's hand gently squeezes my shoulder before he guides me back to my original seat around the table, taking his place on my left.

I glance at Rosa as I sink into my chair, worried that she is going to object, but all reluctance seems to be gone from her countenance and she is demurely stationed behind George, allowing him and Lauren to direct the phone call to the trial officials.

Now the decision has been made to go ahead as soon as can be arranged, everyone seems to have sprung into action again. A small group of women are huddled around a folder crammed with paper and photographs; the evidence I assume, and Lisa is frantically bashing keys on her laptop. But even though Lauren, too, is engaged in conversation she finds time to flash me a quick smile and I smile back warmly, silently thanking her for sticking up for what she knew I would want in their previous argument.

Without having to be told, I know that there is nothing either Cole or I can do now until we get the final go ahead form the judge and trial staff, so I  nestle my head between my arms on the table in front of me, closing my eyes for a brief moment of peace. Cole gently strokes my hair, and for a second I sink into the blissful lethargy of blankness, succeeding in shutting out the cacophony  of businesslike noise surrounding me.

I don't sit like that for long, however, as the next instant a sharp word from George forces a tender silence to fall across the room as he makes the phone call to the Judge. I hear the click of the phone as he places it on speaker and raise my head to listen.

"Hello? Judge Phillip Larka speaking." A voice crackles after three shrill rings.

"Good afternoon, Judge. This is George Cradam for the prosecution. I would like to arrange a time and date for the trial of Mrs Rachel Barness."

"Oh yes, I remember my secretary notifying me that your end would be charged with deciding the date due to the nature of those involved. So, when is it to be held?"

"Well." George says, swallowing, "We hoped tomorrow wouldn't be too short notice if leave could be granted. Preferably a morning adjournment."

"Gracious. Let me see...Yes, tomorrow is fine and the prosecution will be notified. All is set for 9:20 am tomorrow morning, you will be informed if there are any changes."

"Thank you sir." George affirms, before decisively hanging up the phone and placing it squarely on the table.

There is a pause as the news is digested before everyone hurriedly returns to their jobs, even more focused now the deadline has been confirmed.

George, his face set in an expression of grim determination, focuses his gaze on me across the table.

"This time tomorrow, Jasmine, we could have our verdict." He states.

I nod stiffly.

This time tomorrow my whole future will be determined.

But for now it all hangs in the balance.

Author's Note:

Hello! I hope 2017 is going well for you all so far. What did you think to this chapter? Comment your thoughts ❤. Next week will be the trial- I am so excited to write it but it is also so weird to be nearing the end of this book...I don't even want to think  about it!! Anyway, please vote if you did like this, Lots of love to you all,
AutumnSwift1 ❤❤❤