00

MARLEY OWENS HAD ONLY SPOKEN to Isabella Swan a handful of times during her high school years, and was paired with Edward Cullen for a physics assignment in Sophomore year- where he spoke no more than twenty words and finished the assignment before she had a chance to read the rubric.

So Marley was utterly confused as to why she was drinking champagne at their wedding reception. Marley's co-worker Suri convinced her to accept the invitation she had received in the mail, claiming she wanted to know if Marley was able to see the formation of a belly on Bella due to the stirring rumors of a teenage pregnancy.

"Why can't they just be getting married because they love each other, and not because he knocked her up?" Marley frowned, causing Suri to roll her eyes. "What normal couple gets married at eighteen, Mar?"

Marley found herself seated among Billy Black, and Sue Clearwater along with her youngest child, Seth. She was greeted by the three, Seth claiming he recognized her from Carver Cafe where she worked part-time. She picked up her glass and excused herself from the table as everyone poured towards the dance floor.

Mike Newton caught her gaze, waving her over to join him, Eric Yorkie, Jessica Stanley and Angela Weber who gathered next to the massive wedding cake. "You got invited? I didn't know you were close with Bella or Edward." Jessica pointed out when Marley greeted the group.

Marley raised her eyebrows, but decided to ignore Jessica's jab. "It's probably because Carlisle works with my mom," Marley offered but she knew that wasn't the case- or her mom would've received an invitation as well. Jessica shrugged before turning toward the floral cake before them, "Just thought it would be bigger." She stated.

"Hi guys," a pixie voice greeted from beside Marley. She turned to see Alice and Jasper Cullen approach the group. "We were just saying how beautiful everything is," Jessica lied, looking to her friends on either side of her.

"Oh, thank you so much." Alice chimed sweetly, "You don't think it's... too much?" She continued, Marley innocently sipped her wine as Jessica's eyes widened. "No," The four of them spoke at one. "Not at all," Eric added in, unconvincingly.

"Speeches are beginning," Angela spoke up and dragged her friends behind her leaving Marley with Alice and Jasper.

"Hello, Marley." Jasper greeted, nodding his head slightly. "You look beautiful," Alice gushed as she reached towards Marley's blonde hair that was pulled half up loosely by a crystal clip she borrowed from her mom. Her cheeks flushed at the compliment, "Thank you. You both look amazing, and congratulations. It must be strange seeing a sibling get married." She looked over at Bella and Edward who were greeting the guests.

"It is, but we're so happy for Bella to join the family." Alice spoke softly, "So where's your date?" She tilted her head in question. "Oh, um. I didn't bring one? Would have brought my mom but she's working tonight."

"No boyfriend?" Alice investigated further, causing Jasper to knock her ankle with his but she ignored him. "No, not at the moment." Marley's cheeks flamed up, this was the most she had ever spoken to either of them and Alice's questions were very straight forward.

"Don't you worry, a beautiful girl like you won't be single for long. I can see it." Alice spoke causing Marley to raise her eyebrows. "Time to go, nice to see you Marley." Jasper interrupted and practically dragged Alice away. "And then there was one." Marley mumbled, and finished off her glass of wine.

----

Marley poured herself a glass of water as the speeches droned on, beginning to regret accepting the invite in the first place. The reception filled with clapping, so Marley placed her glass back on the table and joined in. The live band began to play once again, allowing the guests to pour onto the dance floor or run to the open bar. "Billy," A voice spoke out and Marley looked over her shoulder to see Edward. "Edward," Billy responded with a slow nod before Edward's gaze dropped to Marley. "Dance with me?" His question shocked her, but she took his outreached hand nonetheless.

"Congratulations by the way," Marley spoke as they slowly danced to the band. "She really is such a beautiful bride," She murmured as she watched Bella dance with Emmett. Edward leaned back to see Marley's face, before peering over his own shoulder to see his wife. "We're both glad you could make it. I mean I know we were never really close," Edward started as they danced to the band. "But Bella speaks fondly of you, she says you made her feel welcomed."

Marley laughed as she thought back to the first time she met Bella Swan, watching as she stood in the hallway with Eric looking awfully uncomfortable. "I knew what it was like to be the new kid in Forks." She pointed out. "Halfway through first semester, freshman year." Edward reminisced. "You sat in front of me in English, and all the boys talked fawned over you in the locker room." He chuckled, causing Marley to blush.

"Seriously? I always thought Suri was the apple of their eyes." Edward shook his head, meeting her eyes. "Believe me, they noticed you too. I mean, I had a crush on you at one point." Marley nearly choked, causing him a hearty laugh to rumble from his chest. The song ended, signalling them to pull apart as Edward took in a deep breath to stop his laughter. Marley watched as Bella approached them, reaching out to hug Marley. "You look incredible," She told Bella as they pulled apart. "Congratulations to the both of you and thank you for the invite, but I should head out." Bella opened her mouth to protest, but Marley stated that she wanted to bring her mom dinner while she worked the night shift.

"Congrats again," She spoke as she gave each of them a hug. "Enjoy the honeymoon, drink tequilas for me while I work double shifts." She stated dramatically causing the pair to laugh as she retreated. "Goodnight, Marley. See you in a few weeks." They waved as she walked down the steps to the mossy path that would lead her to back to the driveway where she parked.

"Marley?" She turned to see Seth approach her from the forest, "Leaving so soon?" She maneuvered on the stone steps, careful with her heel-clad feet. "Yeah, I'm gonna to bring mom food while she's at work," Marley noticed shirtless men standing behind Seth watching over their interaction. "We were just leaving too," He looked back to see the men behind him. "Did you need a ride?"

Marley shook her head, shaking the pair of keys she held in her hand. "I'm good, thanks. G'night Seth." She looked over at the men behind him, furrowing her brows before she continued her journey towards her car. She started up her car and put the car in reverse, looking up to see one of Seth's shirtless friends watching her from the top of the driveway before he sprinted off into the forest.

Howls echoed into the night as she reversed off the asphalt.