09

Emily had asked Paul to invite Marley to the Uley house for dinner, which made it easier for her to extend a wedding invite to Marley.

Paul had parked at the end of Marley's driveway, leaning against the truck with his hands tucked in his pockets- watching as she locked the front door behind her.

She found herself victim of clammy skin and a racing heart as she approached him, nervous for the car ride ahead of them. This would be the first time they were alone after they had reconciled, and she was just realizing how little she knew about Paul- other than the fact that he was indeed a werewolf, and she was his imprint.

She wondered if they would have anything in common, and she doubted that thought almost immediately.

"Everyone's excited to see you," He hummed as Marley tapped her fingers on her bare thighs to distract her from the silence that pervaded the car.

She nodded and then after a few seconds of quiet, she decided her response wasn't enough to keep the conversation going. "I'm excited to see them too." But even after her second attempt, the meager conversation died.

She was thankful when Paul decided to turn the volume on the radio up, allowing music to fill the air that should have been filled with small talk between two friends. Except Marley didn't feel like Paul's friend.

It felt forced, she had concluded. Forced by Paul's ancestors that bound them through the power of the "almighty" imprint.

Marley was sure of one thing- without this imprint, Paul Lahote would have never given her the time of day and Marley wasn't sure if she would have cared for his attention either. They were two different people, the only trait they share is stubbornness; which wasn't something that people usually bond over.

She peered at him through her peripheral vision, watching as he sat with a blank expression as he kept his attention to the road. Marley knew Paul felt her gaze, so she turned her focus to the passing view.

Jacob was awaiting their arrival as they pulled up on the driveway, standing with his hands resting in his pockets and a slightly amused look pulling at the corners of his mouth.

"Hey Jake," Marley greeted as she trailed up to the gravel driveway, Paul following behind. Jake pulled his hands from his pockets and opened his arms to pull her into a hug, squeezing her gently before pulling away and turning to Paul who stood with his arms crossed.

"Everyone's inside?" Marley questioned, peering over Jacob's shoulder to see inside the house.

"They might be out back by now," Jake stated as Marley let herself through the front door and left the boys standing on the front porch. She could hear a scramble of voices as she neared the back door, catching a glimpse of Jared, Sam and Quil carrying trays covered by plastic wrap that she could only assume were filled with food.

Sam was the first to see Marley, his usually stiff expression was replaced by a slight grin as spotted her. "Marley," He greeted with a nod as he balanced the trays. "Glad you could make it."

Her cheeks warmed, remembering that the last time he had seen her was when she called him while crying hysterically after her car had broken down. Before she could respond, she was embraced from behind- knocking heads with whom she could only assume was Kim from the glimpse of well-manicured, purple nails.

"Jesus, Kim." Jared chuckled as Marley reached to rub her head after Kim's accidentally violent display of affection. Kim frowned at Jared, "What? I missed her."

"Hi Kim," Marley chuckled as Kim leaned into Jared and grinned at the blonde.

Marley stuck around to chat with them for a bit before asking where Emily was. Jared pointed over Marley's shoulder, to where Emily stood and chatted with Seth and Embry.

Marley thanked him before heading in their direction, the blazing sun heating up her skin. Emily disregarded what she was saying as she caught a glimpse at Marley approaching her, a grin filling her beautiful features.

Both boys hugged her before running off to tackle Paul and Jake who had decided to join the party. Emily reached out and grabbed Marley's hand, noticing her flustered behaviour.

"You okay?" She asked gently, and suddenly Marley was overwhelmed as she realized she had someone who might understand what she was going through.

"Not really," She laughed as her throat tightened and Emily frowned.

"It helps to talk about it," Emily offered, squeezing Marley's hand. "If you want, we can talk when we're not around people who have enhanced hearing."

Marley thanked her, before pulling her into a tight embrace and letting out a sigh of relief.

"Missed having you around," Emily murmured.

"I missed being around."

----

Once the clock struck eight o'clock, Marley found herself sitting barefoot on cold sand as she was overwhelmed by exhaustion that was aided by a stomach full of warm food.

When she felt someone approaching her, she half-expected it to be Jacob but was surprised when she turned to catch a glimpse at Paul Lahote dropping himself down on the sand next to her.

She wasn't sure what else to do other than smile at him before turning her attention back to the setting sun, feeling his gaze burn a hole in the side of her face.

"Did you mean what you said to Emily?" He asked abruptly, causing her to peer over in confusion.

"When she asked you if you were okay, and you told her 'not really'" He stated, his brows scrunching together. Her cheeks flushed as she realized what he was talking about- not knowing how to respond, she shifted awkwardly in her seat.

"Is it my fault?" He followed up when she didn't respond.

"No," she managed to get out. "It's not your fault."

Paul nodded in response, allowing silence to settle over them again. Marley leaned back on her palms and her gaze remained on the sunset, a million thoughts racing through her head.

"Do you think we would have been friends if you hadn't... imprinted on me?" She blurted out before she could help herself.

Paul took a moment to think, before answering: "No, probably not." She laughed dryly at his honesty, silently agreeing with his answer.

"But I'm glad I did." He spoke softly. "Imprint on you, I mean."

Marley froze, her heart pounding so loudly in her chest she was afraid he might be able to hear it.

"Me too," She murmured as she peered over her shoulder to see everyone caught up in their own conversations. Without the imprint, she would have never met these people.

"You can talk to me too, you know. Not just Emily." He continued- causing her to turn and look at him. She watched as his gaze was occupied by the crashing waves- his russet skin lit by the orange sky.

So instead of responding, she shifted her body closer to his and rested her head on his shoulder.