Prologue

THIRD PERSON POV

~Thousands of years earlier, when the Crystal Empire fell along with King Sombra~

A dark alicorn gazed over the land that the great Crystal Empire once stood. The armor she wore was stained and rusted along with her now dull sword. She looked behind her to see the camp of her fellow Equestrain citizens. Along with them stood her elder sister, her ruling partner of the land.

She sighed letting cold mist appear in front of her dirty face. As she turned to go back to the camp, she heard a slight cry. Her ears perked up and moved to pick up the sound.

After a few moments, she heard it again.

A survivor from the Empire?

She turned back to the wasteland and trotted around, squinting her eyes. Soon enough the sound led her to a lump under the snow. She used her hoof and gently dug open an entrance of a burrow. She laid herself down to get a better look.

She used her horn to illuminate light. After a small look through, she finally found the most heartbreaking thing that any pony can find.

She carefully used her magic to pull the bundle of cloth out of the hole to reveal a premature colt.

The freezing baby was still very tiny and looked as if he was still developing before his actual day of birth. The Princess quickly covered the baby with her wing and hurried to the camp.

She flew through her sister's tent gasping and shaking from the adrenaline rush.

"Sister? What is the matter?" Celestia asked shocked at her younger sibling's rushed entrance.

"Celestia, look at what I found." She sputtered regaining her breath as she revealed the small bundle that was under her wing. Celestia gasped at the sight of the dying colt and shook her head.

"Luna, he won't last long, it's a miracle that he lasted this long." The white alicorn stated sadly. Luna whimpered and nuzzled the baby. "Please, let me save him and raise him. I'll do anything!" Luna pleaded as the foal whimpered in distress.

Celestia thought long and hard as she looked at her sister's worried face.

The elder sister then smiled and used her magic to bundle the baby in a new blanket. "I will allow it as long as you agree to my terms to keep this a secret." She said putting the bundle on her temporary bed.

"And that would be?" Luna asked as Celestia began going through books that were piled on one side of the tent.

"Well first, what is the new Prince's name?" Celestia chuckled as she found the book she was looking for.

"Prince Lunar Dusk Shadow." Luna replied as she looked at the book her sister had placed beside the sleeping foal.

Celestia smiled and approved the name as she opened the ancient healing book.

"I will continue to list the terms after we save him, of course." Celestia continued as she revealed spells that her younger sister would have to perform in order to save the child.

"Because of him being so premature, you would have to replace his weak blood carefully with yours. This along with this time spell should mature him quickly to a just born foal." The white alicorn said as she showed the darker one certain spells.

"The only backfire it will have is draining your magic for using so many of these at once. Other than that, the foal will be matured to the state he needs to be in and will take on your features since you would have to use that blood spell. That spell is practically reversing his original genetics to yours; better to prepare for the worse in case it doesn't work. I've only heard of it working a few times." Celestia said worriedly.