Chapter 1

THIRD PERSON POV

~Time set: present day (the night before the return of Nightmare Moon)~

Dusk sat in the library of the new castle that was built months later after the banishment of his mother. It was in a new location, the new capital of Equestria, Canterlot.

His aunt, Princess Celestia, ruled over the land and raise the moon in replacement of her lost sister. He, however, took over his mother's dark kingdom secretly from the rest of Equestria. Celestia forbade him to move the stars or anything related to the beautiful night. She also, years later, made a public announcement of inducting Dusk as the royal adviser to keep his identity a secret.

To protect him and the royal reputation, Dusk has to wear a cloak at all times to hide his face and alicorn body. So to the others, he was given the stage name 'Dullen' because of his dull tone he uses in front of others, he was known as the odd and mysterious advisor.

Celestia made it clear to him that he was forbidden to tell any pony who he actually was.

Dusk sighed and looked out the window at the night sky. There he looked at the moon in sorrow.

"Mother, please return." He whispered to the moon. He did this every night for the past thousand years, hoping his mother hears his pleas.

The library door squeaked opened, alarming the colt. Dusk quickly turned himself into a shadow and hid. Yes, he continued his training of the art of shadow magic, but only his aunt knew of his abilities.

He slithered around to find Celestia's prized pupil, Twilight Sparkle, rummaging through old records.

Dusk carefully returned to his normal form before making his presence known.

"Miss Sparkle?" He called out in his dull tone.

Twilight jumped dropping her assistant, Spike off her back.

"Ah, Spike as well." He continued eyeing the dragon. "Advisor Dullen!" Twilight exclaimed blushing in embarrassment.

"I was just looking at something before I leave for Ponyville, upon Princess Celestia's request." She blabbered as Spike rolled his eyes.

Dusk looked over at the book to see it was the story of when his mother was imprisoned in the moon.

"Ah, the tale of Nightmare Moon." He said in amusement. He picked up the book with his magic and looked through the book. "You are familiar with it as well?" Twilight asked sitting down.

"Very." He said sadly recalling the memories. "I hate this story." He stated closing the book and tucking it in his cloak.

"But why?" The unicorn asked.

Dusk flinched and sighed.

"It's sad isn't it? Two sisters happily ruling a great land and then suddenly the younger one starts to feel betrayed by her subjects that sleep during her time of the night. Feeling empty turned her tragically into Nightmare Moon and had to fight her own sister just to be put in the one of the things she loved most, the moon." Dusk said summarizing what the book told.

Celestia had to bend the truth of what actually happened since he was part of the history.

Twilight looked down sadly.

"I know it seems that way, but there have been signs of her return." The unicorn said catching the cloaked Prince's attention.

"Returning?" He asked. He never really paid attention to anything but to his aunt's orders, so to him, this was amazing.