6| Friends?

"I FOUND AN APARTMENT FOR YOU," Roman breathes into the phone, his voice lilting in happiness.

I roll onto my back, my hair a shadow of swirls in front of my eyes. "Sorry, I think I heard you wrong. Did you say that you found an apartment for me?"

Roman laughs, "I called a realtor and she found something great. It's close nearby and completely affordable."

I sit up in the guest bed, my head swimming in confusion as I try to comprehend what he's saying. "You are insane."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Like eat cereal with a fork insane."

"That bad?" He laughs again, his deep voice sending shivers up my spine.

"Definitely that bad. I didn't ask you to find me an apartment!" I yell back at him, crawling out of bed as I step on the wood floor hesitantly.

"Come to my office so we can talk." He finishes, the phone line silences as I think about what I should say.

We are just friends. Boss and employee relationship. Strictly platonic. "I don't even know where the bathroom is in this house, how am I supposed to find you?"

"Okay then, can I come in?"

I speak with incredulity, "What?"

I hear a voice close to my door, "Can I come in?"

I walk towards the door of the guest room, opening it to find a dazed Roman. My mouth drops, the phone still pressed to my ear. "How long were you here?"

He removes his phone from his ear, ending the call and I do the same. "Not too long," he replies, beaming his hundred watt smile at me.

I smile up at him, about to follow him out when my phone rings.

Gianni.

Immediately, I begin panicking, even though I've done nothing wrong. Roman's eyes flicker towards the screen of my phone, registering Gianni's name. He rolls his eyes and walks out, leaving me with the call.

"Good morning Gianni!" I answer the phone, cringing once I realize how over enthusiastic I sound.

"You are way too loud Valentine, I need you to be quiet," Gianni murmurs sleepily, her tone as sharp as ever.

In any other situation, I would have lashed back, but this job is so important. Gianni rambles on, sighing intermittently as she speaks.

"How's Roman?" She finally asks.

My stomach sinks, and I panic. "He's...fine. I–I mean it's not like I've been living here for the last week, because I haven't, I–"

"You've been living in my house for a week?!" Gianni screams through the phone.

"I'm so sorry for imposing on you but I don't have a place to stay at the moment. I should have asked for your permission."

"I want you out," Gianni breathes. "Now." The phone clicks off,

What the hell have I gotten myself into?

"I'm taking Rene to visit my parents today. Maybe afterwards, we can go and see your apartment." Roman looks at me earnestly, his brown eyes sparkling with interest.

I look up from packing my things into a nylon bag. "I don't have an apartment. Right now, I need to speak to Jake to see if we can work something out."

Roman looks at me with impatience. "Work what out? He's not going to stay with you."

Anger shoots up my spine and his expressions becomes sober, realizing his mistake. "Listen to me Roman," I point a finger at him. "You don't know anything about me. Nothing. Don't ever think you can input your opinion where it's not needed. "

I put on my backpack, picking up my phone and dialing Jake's number. I walk out the door without another word to Roman.

❉❉❉

Jake looks at me with disgust, his eyes focused anywhere but on me. He stands tilted, one hand placed on the door jamb. His white shirt is rumpled and his green eyes flicker with pride as he looks back at me.

I probably should have looked a bit more presentable, especially when faced with my ex. I clear my throat, "Did you hear me Jake?"

"Where have you been?" Jake replies, an unwelcome glare in his eyes. He knew how much I hated it when someone answered my question with a question.

Now I'm pissed. "What the fuck do you mean where have I been?" I start gesturing wildly, "You proposed to me and I rejected it so you left me in a foreign neighborhood at night. What type of person does that shit?"

Jake swallows, "So instead of finding your way home, you leech off of your boss' husband."

I blink, astounded at the new low that Jake was willing to reach. "What do you mean? How do you even know that?"

He scoffs, "Stop playing dumb Valentina," He clasps his hands in innocent pretense. "You're using that man as a stepping stone, trying to climb out of the hole you've dug yourself in."

I put my index and thumb finger against my temple, taking in a deep breath. "You are daft, Jake. Actually insane." I push past him into the apartment, his pleading cries trailing after me.

"Jake, are you back?" A female voice rings out.

An tight smile makes its way onto my face and I laugh in irony. I look back at Jake, his face drained of color.

The woman walks out of the bathroom wearing a black shirt with matching sweatpants. Her blonde hair is plaited intricately down the middle of her head and her blue eyes twinkle in confusion as she looks at me.

"What-– She begins, eyes locked onto Jake who stood, cowardly, behind me.

I stretch out my hands toward her, a smile distorting my face. "My name is Valentina, Jake's ex."

❉❉❉

A/N—Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've written an a/n updating you guys about my posting schedule. I'm so sorry it's been a week since I've posted. I just haven't been in the right frame of mind to make a chapter. Plus I've been having a heavy school schedule + SAT s.

I'm going to really work at it, don't worry. Anyway, I will be posting twice a week from now on, or once if they are longer chapters. Those days will be Monday and Wednesday, so keep an eye out. I'm going to work on developing the characters.

Sorry for this chapter, it will get better I promise! Thank you guys for sticking with me (and the book), don't forget to comment, share, and vote!

Xoxo,
Aanu 💋