Chapter 1 - Welcome

America did not join World War One until April 6, 1917. In this story, they were part of the war since the beginning.

November 8th, 1914

Sunday

"Excuse me."

"Pardon me."

"Sorry ma'am, I'm just trying to pass through."

When I finally made it to the iron gates, I showed the guard my ID. He took a quick look at the card, then me. He did a quick nod his head and sent me through. Looking around, I saw the freshly cut grass and some buildings... brick buildings... all two stories at least. I turned my head to look back at my civilian life one more time before turning back and heading towards my assigned barracks to drop off my bag.

"Hey, you must be the new guy!" A man with bright blue eyes said putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Yup, that's me. I'm Jonathan Denis." I replied turning to face him.

He stuck out his hand, "Tyler Wildcat." We shook hands and he led me to my bunk.

"You'll be on this top bunk above Nogla. He's out flipping tires right now so you'll meet that bastard later. Set up your stuff and meet me outside in five minutes. I'll show you around then," He said leaving me be.

I took a deep breath and looked around my new "home". There were 3 nightstands and 3 dressers to accompany the 3 bunks. I looked back at my bed and saw a photograph on the nightstand. I walked over and picked it up to look at it. It was of two similar looking soldiers standing side-by-side with their arms over each other's shoulders smiling. They looked so happy.

I put the picture back down and finished setting up my bunk area. I put my few shirts, pants, and shorts in the dresser next to my bunk and kept everything else in my bag. I tossed it on my bed and looked around one more time at the dark green bunks. "Better get going," I mumbled before heading towards the door.

"Good job on your timing Jon. Now let's head down to headquarters and pick up your schedule. I want to see who you have as drill sergeant," he said as he started making his way deeper into base. Well... no turning back now.

We passed by a few other people who waved to Tyler before we eventually got to headquarters.

"Alright! You have your ID on you right?" he asked and I nodded. "Good. Let's go."

He opened the door and we walked in. The man behind the desk stood up and saluted as did Tyler.

"Is this the new recruit Sergeant?" The man asked. Wait, Tyler's a sergeant?

"Yes he is. We're here to pick up his schedule," He turned and faced me, "Show him your ID." I reached into my pocket, pulled it out, and showed him.

"Denis. Alright I have your schedule right here," He said handing it over to me.

"Thank you sir," I replied back.

"Don't lose it. I'm not giving you another."

"Yes sir," I replied.

"Don't scare the newby like that Cody!" Tyler half yelled and Cody jokingly groaned.

"That's Lieutenant Catz around newbies man," Cody said whining. Tyler laughed and said goodbye, then we left the building.

He grabbed the schedule right out of my hands and looked it over. "Nice!" He exclaimed, chuckling a little bit.

"What?" I said attempting to grab it back. He pulled it away and continued to look at it.