I Didn't Fire The Gun

The poet Thomas Grey once said 'Ignorance is Bliss', I never understood how this could be true, until now that is. I was always a firm believer in the phrase 'Knowledge is Power' but what happens when its knowledge that leaves you powerless.

That's how I feel right now staring down at the three guns, two huge knives and about 50 thousand in rolled up notes. I am not completely sure what all this adds up to, however I am positive it is bad. Like mafia bad.

"Danny, Danny, Danny...What are you messed up in." I mumble to myself. It's 12.15am and I am exhausted yet I haven't done anything other than sit an try to work out what to do. I press my fingers to my forehead and sigh in frustration, this is getting me nowhere fast. I head towards my bathroom and turn of the shower, maybe the hot water will ease my my tension. At least pass some time until I confront him about this. It's time he damn well explained himself.

"Aaaaarrrrrhggggghhhhhhh!!!" My heart is pounding in my head and I can't catch my breath. It's like a damn horror movie and with tonight's finds I am more than on edge.

"Put some clothes on, we need to talk." Says the shadow on the other side of my shower curtain and it only slightly relaxes me when I realise it's Danny.

I turn the shower off and scramble around to try and find my clothes. How dare he? He's acting like I am in the wrong, like I am some sort of bad guy. Like I hoard guns and money, knives let's not forget those. I abandon my current clothing issue and just tighten the towel around myself as I swing open the bathroom door and nearly barge into a angry yet stunned Danny.

Your arse is mine Cortez!

"What the hell is all this." He spits, roughly gesturing to my bed. Or rather his stash.

"You tell me?" I fire back. No way mister, this is your fuck up for once.

"Why the fuck is it on your fucking bed Madeline. Why are you snooping around my room? What  give you the right to question me after you went fucking snooping." He yells ignoring my question. I notice his eyes keep trailing my body before he closes them so I pull my towel tighter, maybe I should of got dressed. I suddenly don't feel as in control of the situation.

"I live here to remember. I have every right to know what my best friend is doing. What are you doing Danny? Why is in our apartment?" I yell using the same tactic as him. I can play hard ball too. You taught me that.

"That's none of your concern." He snaps and turns to start picking up the item's in question. I jump in his way before he can and put my hands on his chest pushing him back. Oh no no no. He is not brushing this off so easily.

"Oh no you don't Danny Boy, I want answers and I want them now!" I glare at him, aware of our close proximity and the way his eyes keep straying to my lips. It's almost like he wants to kiss me. God I am losing it. I mean how can any of this be real. Have I been so ignorant that I didn't even realise that too.

"What's it like to want." He sneers and moves me with ease. It's like I weigh nothing yet he never hurts me.

"You tell me?" I reply in a moment of confidence, which rapidly fades when I see his whole body tense for a split second but he doesn't rise to it. He collects the money stuffing it in his pockets. Good luck with that, he needs about fifty more pockets. Picking up the knives and guns with a chilling ease. He doesn't seem fazed to be handling them. Without realising I grab the last gun and point it towards him, backing myself away from him and towards my bedroom door. I think I am more shocked than him but I can't back down now. I need answers and if this is the only way...

"I said, I want answers Daniel, so start fucking talking." I demand my terrified eyes never leaving his seeming amused ones. My hands are trembling so bad just knowing I am holding a gun. Tonight is the first time I have ever touched one, I hope it's the last. I didn't realise how heavy they are. The cops on TV make it looks so easy.

"You won't shoot me Mads.' He taunts me, I would like to believe that I wouldn't but right now even I am not sure what I am capable of when pushed to my limits. He demands honesty from me yet he obviously has more secrets than a teenage girls diary. I 

"Don't push me Danny. I have all these questions and you need to answer them. Please just tell me what's going on. I have a right to know." I stutter when he takes a step forward. He doesn't listen and takes another step forward. Please don't push me... I don't want to hurt you. The gun is shaking so bad, I think it's the gun but my whole body seems to vibrate. He is moving closer, closing the gap even as I wave the gun at him. I just want answers.

"I will shoot you Daniel, please I just want answers...." I don't get to finish my sentence when a loud bang echo's around the room and my whole body jolts with surprise. I watch as Danny's expression turns from one of humor to horror. Oh God! I shot him. I shot him.

I drop the gun as a gut wrenching pain consumes my body, it's then I realise I didn't fire the gun....