Beyond Repair

Waking up again feels different yet the same. It's strange the pain is still there but I feel more myself, everything is clearer. I am pleasantly surprised, although I shouldn't be that Danny is sat by my side. He looks tired. Like he has aged 10 years since I slept.

"Hey." I whisper, testing my voice. I don't know how long I have been out this time but if I'm judging by Danny's appearance it has been a while.

"Hey Princess, how are you feeling?" He asks softly as he strokes my cheek. It's just a small gesture but somehow it means so much more. It's comforts me.

"I'm fine." I lie and try to sit up only to fall back in agony. Danny raises his eyebrow to call me on my lie but doesn't speak. He doesn't need to, we both know I am far from fine. I just can't bare the guilt in his eyes.

"Ok, I am in a lot of pain but at least I am alive."

"I am so sorry Mads, please believe I never, ever wanted you to get hurt. I have spent my life working to protect you. I guess I didn't work hard enough." He pleads and the look on his face makes me want to cry. He looks so sad, so broken.

"Why are you apologizing?" I muttered in confusion.

"It's all my fucking fault that you got shot and.."

"Danny I know you didn't shoot me. I don't know who did but when the loud bang went off your hands where in front of my face. I don't remember much else but that I am certain. Even if I didn't see your hands I know you would never shoot me." I explain taking a sip of the water he offers when my voice cracks at the end.

"I love you Mads." He breathes and kisses my hand that's still cupped in his. We haven't broke the connection yet. I don't know who needs it more right now.

"I love you too." I smile.

"No Mads, what I mean is that..." He doesn't get chance to finish when none other than Blake walks in with a massive smile that makes butterflies erupt in my stomach and most embarrassingly my heart monitor speeds up. He has the most beautiful bunch of pink flowers I have ever seen. I have never gotten flowers before, well except from Danny.

"Madeline you're awake." He chirps and kisses my forehead. The smile on his face fades when he glares at my hand still entwined in Danny's.

I try to remove my hand but as I do Danny tightens his. I am far to tired and emotional to work out how I feel about it.

"What can we do for you Detective?" Danny asks spitting the last word in disgust. What the hell is his problem?

I throw him a questioning look to which his just smirks his usual obnoxious smirk. I hate that smirk, it just isn't him. Well not the him I know.

"Danny can you go and get me some clothes please?" I ask sweetly. Using this to distract him and get a few minutes alone with Blake. All the testosterone in the room is suffocating.

"Already done Princess." He smirks.

"How about some nice juice?" I ask desperately trying to get rid of him. He continues smiling like a lunatic and stroking my hand, still clutched in his.

"Got some of your favourite here." He says reaching in the cupboard for the passionfruit and mango juice, still with that stupid smirk. Gah! Take the damn hint.

"Well how about you.."

"She wants you to leave us alone, its blatantly obvious, idiot." Blake sneers and I am stunned at the hatred in his tone.

"Mads?" Danny prompts. "Is that what you want?" I can't bring myself to answer with words so I just nod quickly, without a word he stalks out the door leaving it to bang shut. I know I have hurt his feeling but he will get over it. I have unfinished business with Blake and the last time he heard us talk... Well it didn't end to well.