The Spell

Chapter 2

The three moons of Ethiolan cast a hazy glow over the land. Zane and his father morphed into their dragon forms, thrusting out their great black wings and beating them against the wind to lift them into the sky. They could fly higher than any dragon could dream. Under normal circumstances, Zane would have enjoyed the opportunity to fly at top speed to a neighboring kingdom and escape the tensions of his home, but this was no pleasurable trip.

He never feared attacks from Balaan or his men when he flew like this. The Blackskins' power was the ability to fly faster and higher than any other dragon in the realm. He was in the most danger when he was in his mortal form on the ground. Though in his mortal form he could move just as fast, it required a conscious effort. And if he wasn't paying close enough attention, or his guard was down for any reason, then he could easily be attacked.

That is what happened to the Bluescale line. Since their power was not one that served them in any real attack, they had been by far the most logical line of dragons to pick off first. Their abilities served no advantage to them, unless they could force their opponents under water for any length of time.

The cryptic message from the sorcerous of the Bluescale kingdom promised hope as their payment for taking the risk to cross the dangerous open skies. Hope where there was none was a precious payment, and more valuable than gold at this point. With one royal line now extinct and their way of life hanging in the balance, hope was an offering they would risk any flight for.

What did it mean?

If the Bluescale sorcerous was offering them hope, did that mean she found a way around the loss of the royal line? The words of her message turned in his head as he flew. She had a saving grace. The possibilities flitted in Zane's mind as he tried to decipher the few words she'd sent.

As Zane and his father flew over the borders of the Bluescale kingdom, Zane saw a smattering of shadows move. But whether they were Bluescale guards or Balaan's spies, Zane couldn't tell from this height. He hoped they were guards. He didn't want Balaan knowing they were up to anything, that they had been offered hope.

They didn't slow or drop their elevation to see if the dragons below were friends or foes. Without a guard, they couldn't risk putting their own lives in danger. These days, it was a royal's first priority to keep themselves alive. Balaan's quiet retreat for the last month did not give Zane a feeling of security.

As the wind slipped under his wings, each beat was marred by an instinctual panic and a feeling of apprehension, as his fears of what could stop him from learning Maze's secret plagued his thoughts.

Once BluescaleCastle came into view, which sat on the edge of a high cliff overlooking the DaphniaSea, the scent of the ocean filled his nostrils. Waterways led into and ran throughout the castle that only the Bluescales could traverse. Though the existence of the fascinating underwater tunnels were well known, only true Bluescales would ever dare to enter them, since it would mean certain death to anyone who couldn't breathe under water.

The mystery of the waterways, not to mention the rumors of vast gold stores, fascinated many, including Zane. He could remember as a boy, standing on the edge of a waterway and looking into the deceptively welcoming pool, wondering just how dangerous it really was, until the Bluescale prince himself grabbed him by the hand and sternly warned him away from the edge. The waterways were still a curiosity for him, but he was old enough now to know better than to get too close to edge of that particular fascination.